Brushed Aluminum finish for Double tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kathydee

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This is purely a cosmetic question :).

Today I went to the dive shop planning to pick up a new set of Luxfer Al80's for warm water diving. They only had brushed Aluminum tanks in stock.

Since I have the choice - seems that over time the shot blast would probably show less scratches and cosmetic wear than the brushed finish.

Before placing a special order for shot blast, thought I'd ask your experience with the brushed finish.

Does the it tend to scratch up easily when used for double tanks?

Thanks

I had a set of double 80's that were brushed. While they got some scratches it was nothing severe, just normal wear and tear. I do prefer the brushed over shot blast though. While it's not as big of a difference for doubles I found that decals don't adhere as well to the shot blast tanks. If I were you I'd just go with the brushed as that's what they have in stock :)

Shot blasting looks great but is not a great finish for an aluminum tank in my opinion. It exponentially increases the surface area, and while the oxidation of aluminum is self limiting, it's really only a cosmetic improvement.

And, while brushed aluminum tanks don't stay new looking, over time they stabilize in what is not a bad looking finish at all.

My brushed Aluminum has a clear coat that just gets ugly over time. The shot blast I have seen has no finish so they just ages with style. OTOH, it is a scuba tank so which finish is less expensive?

I had a set of double 80's that were brushed. While they got some scratches it was nothing severe, just normal wear and tear. I do prefer the brushed over shot blast though. While it's not as big of a difference for doubles I found that decals don't adhere as well to the shot blast tanks. If I were you I'd just go with the brushed as that's what they have in stock :)
this

if you ever break it down into stages mod stickers wont stick to them worth a damn

I found that decals don't adhere as well to the shot blast tanks.:)

Shot blasting looks great but is not a great finish for an aluminum tank in my opinion. It exponentially increases the surface area, and while the oxidation of aluminum is self limiting, it's really only a cosmetic improvement.

And, while brushed aluminum tanks don't stay new looking, over time they stabilize in what is not a bad looking finish at all.

if you ever break it down into stages mod stickers wont stick to them worth a damn

Oh, looks like the question is more than cosmetic. Felt a little silly for posting, but good thing I asked.

Thanks

OTOH, it is a scuba tank so which finish is less expensive?

Brushed or blasted are the same price.

I've got dozens of brushed Al80s, some of them twinned, some of them rigged as stages. They get some pretty heavy use, on and off boats, heaved up onto the jetty, clanged about in the tank room. They do pick up scrapes and scratches, but they're scuba tanks - apart from all the very valid reasons for preferring brushed Al tanks already given, don't you WANT your tanks to look well-used as soon as possible? :D

I like Catalina's "natural" finish. It's a dull, mottled gray that some might think is ugly but I like it. It's five bucks cheaper, too.

I have used all finishes over the years, plus Im a PSI inspector, so Ive seen plenty of customers tanks come in for VIP's too.

I feel that brushed no coat is the best finish by far. Any color paint or clear coat finish on an aluminum tank causes salt water to be trapped under it once it starts to chip or peel. This created corrosion pitting over a short time and will ed up rendering your tank useless.

They do pick up scrapes and scratches, but they're scuba tanks - apart from all the very valid reasons for preferring brushed Al tanks already given, don't you WANT your tanks to look well-used as soon as possible? :D

I don't know, the brushed Al just look a bit too nice in the shop to want to scratch up :).
Oh well, after the first scratches you don't notice .

The shot blast start with that already been buried for 10 years look, which never gets better, so who cares.

But for reasons beyond aesthetic listed above, I'm convinced to go with the brushed. Thanks.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom