• You did better than average

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • You did okay

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Man those pictures suck hehehe

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

syruss32

Reaction score
Okay all I have managed to salvage some of the pictures I took underwater pictures in St. Thomas last week.

Most of them were taken with a Sea & Sea MX5. Some were with a Sea & Sea MX10 with Strobe.

It is obvious that my underwater photography skills are somewhat less than perfect. I had to adjust color and such on many of these and cropped to the important part of the picture.

Pics 1-10
Pics 11-20
Pics 21-30

Let me know what you think about them!

I will be posting them on my site as a slideshow also maybe later tonight! Each ZIP file is approximately 1.6 megabytes.

Syruss, I tried to look at the pics but was given an error saying I don't have an application to support the program, huh?

Not being of a technical mind, can you tell me how I might go about viewing these pics?

I got the same error message. I need a Jpeg form to view them. Is that possible? Zips don't work for me.
:sunny:

The zip format just takes a group of files and compresses them. You can download winzip from winzip.com

Or you will be able to see them when I put them on my site. I zipped them to make them easier to upload, as I don't have real software on this pc to ftp the files up in groups.

what happens for me:
- when I click on the link, the zip file is downloaded to my PC

I then can open the zip file, and view the pics.

You did Ok considering it's your first try and with the cameras you used. I'd save the MX-5 for snorkeling and very shallows dives, though. IMHO it's not much better than the disposible cameras.

The MX-10 shots were pretty good for a first. You need to work on your distancing...get closer! The built-in lens on the MX-10 will focus to 3ft. So get as close as you can....then even closer! Did you use the YS-40 strobe? The more water there is between the subject and your camera, the more chance of 'stuff' getting in the way. Backscatter is unavoidable with a fixed strobe but you can learn to pick your shots and eliminate most of it.

With some clean-up, you've got a few keepers in there. Keep practicing!

Originally posted by Dee
You did Ok considering it's your first try and with the cameras you used. I'd save the MX-5 for snorkeling and very shallows dives, though. IMHO it's not much better than the disposible cameras.

The MX-10 shots were pretty good for a first. You need to work on your distancing...get closer! The built-in lens on the MX-10 will focus to 3ft. So get as close as you can....then even closer! Did you use the YS-40 strobe? The more water there is between the subject and your camera, the more chance of 'stuff' getting in the way. Backscatter is unavoidable with a fixed strobe but you can learn to pick your shots and eliminate most of it.

With some clean-up, you've got a few keepers in there. Keep practicing!

As for the MX-5 no can do, I lost it in a tragic diving accident. AKA it came off my arm and I didn't notice so it is drifting to Puerto Rico by now. Which is how I ended up with the MX-10 and yes I do have the strobe, but obviously I am still learning to us it properly. The good news is I have about 300 or so underwater pics and probably 50-75% of them at least have something that came out okay. With a little color adjustment here and a nip and tuck there.

But now I know next time to get much closer!

That's what I told Syruss earlier:
  • not bad, anytime you can recognize what you're taking a picture of something it's a bonus
  • best hint I was given when taking u/w pics, if you think you're close enough, get closer
  • read the handy dandy book that came with the MK10 for all their hints
  • I promise not to laugh at any of his pics, if he doesn't laugh at mine.

Okay, for those of you intelligent enough to own a Mac (here come da flames ),

1) save files to your desktop
2) open Stuffit Expander (free at their website)
3) expand stthomas.zip file

I want to warn all you PC people in advance of your flames that I am a Mac addict and over the years I've heard ALL the insults.

Originally posted by CaptAl
Okay, for those of you intelligent enough to own a Mac (here come da flames ),

1) save files to your desktop
2) open Stuffit Expander (free at their website)
3) expand stthomas.zip file

I want to warn all you PC people in advance of your flames that I am a Mac addict and over the years I've heard ALL the insults.

Like oh my god a scuba diving Mac fan.....wow where will it all end heheheh!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom