Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FSWorld

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Im looking for a good BCD that will last and works well for traveling, warm water, cold water, cave diving. I guess Im asking if there is a one size fits all BCD, or should I plan to get multiple ones? Right now I am doing warm water but and itching to get into the other areas.

I like the Aeris EX100.

I like Back Inflate BC's over Jacket.

For cave most will go with a BP/W but cave requires doubles and a bunch of training.

I have a Zeagle Stiletto and a BP/W for cold water with a 10+ lbs plate.

I highly recommend the Zeagle for travel and general warm water diving.

With backplate and wing system, you can easily swap out wings for varied diving conditions and configurations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Try looking at a modular Harness, this is what will offer the most flexibility. Apeks WTX Harness, Scubapro X-Tek harness are good examples of this.

it can be easily adapted to Singles, Doubles, sidemount... Alternatively the Backplate and Wing is also a good option though I find the harnesses a little more comfortable.

Out of the gate the Harness, and a wing is what you will need, weight pockets are a good option too, then as you need you can swap the components out as need.

I tried a wing for awhile. A Dive Rite Classic Wing. Sold it.

Look at the DRIS (Dive Right In Scuba) back plate and wing package. From what I hear it's about the best deal out there and a great setup.
You're going to hear a lot of "Get a BP/W" around here so you might as well get used it.

Seriously though, wth a BP/W you can do any type of diving and you'll never have to upgrade to something better because IMO there is nothing better.

BCD purchase/selection questions come up regularly, so I put my thoughts/advice into an article:

Scuba Equipment : Selecting a Buoyancy Control Device (BCD)

If cave diving is a foreseeable outcome, then you really need to think about getting a BP&W. Start with a single-tank wing, and later, just use the same harness/backplate with a double-tank wing. That way, you only need to upgrade the wing itself, not buy a whole new BCD. You'll also develop a high level of familiarity with the rig, in long-term preparation for advanced/cave diving. A hogarthian-type harness is as 'one-size-fits-all' as it gets.

Alternatively, you might want to consider a sidemount approach. Something like the Hollis SMS100 allows you to multi-use, single-tank diving backmounted (as normal), with the capacity to sidemount doubles when the need arises.

Im looking for a good BCD that will last and works well for traveling, warm water, cold water, cave diving. I guess Im asking if there is a one size fits all BCD, or should I plan to get multiple ones? Right now I am doing warm water but and itching to get into the other areas.

With that in your sentense, I would say don't worry about buying multiple items. The cost of doing cave diving safely: training, equipment, gas ... By the time you get there, the cost of your first BCD is the least of your worry.

Anyway, bp/w will be a good starter for you.

"Begin as you mean to go on . . . "

If cave is your eventual goal, you will be more efficient in your gear purchases, if you buy something now that won't be difficult to adapt to cave diving later. Although sidemount seems to be the flavor of the month, I'd be willing to bet that the majority of cave divers still dive backmounted doubles. If you buy a backplate and wing system now, then all you need to change to go to doubles is to buy a doubles wing, and all your gear will be familiar to you. If you buy something now that can't easily adapt to carrying doubles, you will have to learn another gear setup when you make the transition, whether it's to backmount or sidemount.

Back
Top Bottom