Computer Recommendations for Soon-to-be Divemaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver825

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I need to decide on a computer by Monday night, but I would like to hear some input (pros AND cons) on computers I am considering, as well as any other recommendations you may have. This will be my first computer. Current cert is AOW/Nitrox, ~20 dives, and will be completing Rescue and DM soon. Only recreational diving - currently no plans for any tech diving.

Needs:
< $500
Wrist-top
Nitrox capability
User-replaceable battery

Don't need and don't plan on using:
AI
Digital compass

Looking for best bang for the buck, but also don't want to have upgrade to another computer in a year or 2.

Currently considering:
Suunto Zoop - have heard good things about Suunto. At $300, it seems like it doesn't break the bank compared to many other computers
Dive Rite Duo a.k.a. Tusa DC Hunter IQ-700, IST GS-3000 - I know this is an older model, but I've heard/read many good things, and it comes highly recommended from someone at LDS who is a reputable tech diver in the industry. Though, I am concerned about warranty/support if this model is discontinued. However, I can get a new one for $240. Have heard average depth function is quite useful for many divers.

Some others that have been recommended but I haven't looked into as much and am not considering as much:
Oceanic Veo 2.0 and 3.0
Oceanic Geo 2.0 - I know this is at least $100 more than others I'm considering, but I am willing to spend a bit more if it can be justified.

Interested in the capability to download to PC to keep an electronic log, but I'm not certain yet how important this is to me with my love dive numbers. I also don't know if I'd be willing to front ~$75-100 just for a little data cable. This also brings up another concern about the Duo/IQ-700's driver and software support for Windows 7 (read in another thread here that Win7 will not be supported and Dive Rite has given up on this). How important is the electronic logbook to some of you?

Last, any opinions on warranty from these manufacturers, possible maintenance, and customer service?

I've got a Zoop, it's a great little computer.
Short of integrated air, it's got everything I need.
Suunto make good gear.
The software is easy and intuitive too, with decent logging.
Plus if you upgrade to more complex Suunto in the future you can continue using the log.

I looked at the Zoop and the Mares Puck. They were similar in features. My shop sells both so I got a discount either way. The Puck has one button which cycles through all the options. The Zoop has two buttons so you can go forward or backward. I found myself pressing the one button, on the Puck, too much and having to go around the cycle twice. With the Zoop if I went too far I could just press the back button once.

I found the wrist strap which came with both of them wasn't very good if you are diving 7mm on deep dives. The wetsuit would compress and the strap would get loose. On a 128' dive I almost lost the Zoop. Fortunately, I had my compass on a bungee mount and the Zoop hit it before it slid off.

DSS has a bungee mount for the Zoop and it works great. So I ended up going with the Zoop. Be warned that it is very conservative. When other computers will say you have a few more minutes the Zoop will tell you to get out because you hit your NDL. Additionally, changing the battery results in all the settings getting reset and possibly all your dive history getting lost. I just changed the batteries on mine and lost my dive history. Fortunately, I don't trust computers so I always copy the information to a dive log.

One thing I recently noticed copying my dives out to a paper logbook was that the history shows the whole profile. You can actually step through depth and time for each dive. I don't know if the Puck has this.

I've heard good things around the Oceanic Veo and Geo but I don't get a discount on those so I never considered them. I'm pretty happy with my Zoop. My plan is to replace it with a technical dive computer (multiple gases, trimix, gas switching, etc.) and keep the Zoop as a back up computer or something to use in the pool (no clock at our pool so I need to wear a watch).

On a different note, why the rush to DM? I'd recommend taking your time. You might be able to get your DM in record time but you'll learn a lot more, be more effective and enjoy it more if you take your time. The best piece of advice I got was during AOW training... "It's not a race. Take your time." The Course Director told me this and that this applies to all diving and not just the AOW training. It took me 10 years to get to DM and I plan on staying a DM for another 2 or 3 before I go to instructor. I have my DSD Leader cert. So I am working with DSD students in the pool. Helping Master Scuba Dive Trainers (MSDTs) and Course Directors (CDs) has been immensely educational however. There are so many different kinds of people and what works for one doesn't work for another.

Thanks for the input. Anyone else have comments to add about the Duo or the Oceanics? I am honestly leaning towards the Duo since it is hard to ignore at $240 for a new one. It seems to have more features than the Zoop, but on the downside it doesn't have the reputation of Suuntos and also is a discontinued model.

I also forgot to ask whether anyone has had any issues with the 30s sampling rate of the Zoop. Have you ever wanted it to be a more frequent sampling rate?

On a different note, why the rush to DM? I'd recommend taking your time. You might be able to get your DM in record time but you'll learn a lot more, be more effective and enjoy it more if you take your time. The best piece of advice I got was during AOW training... "It's not a race. Take your time." The Course Director told me this and that this applies to all diving and not just the AOW training. It took me 10 years to get to DM and I plan on staying a DM for another 2 or 3 before I go to instructor. I have my DSD Leader cert. So I am working with DSD students in the pool. Helping Master Scuba Dive Trainers (MSDTs) and Course Directors (CDs) has been immensely educational however. There are so many different kinds of people and what works for one doesn't work for another.

I'm not exactly trying to "rush" to DM, but I know what you mean and thanks for the advice. I have a large window of opportunity that allows me to dedicate ALL of my time to training for a few weeks. I don't normally live in an area where diving is accessible and don't normally have the time and regular schedule to do a course, but now I do. The main thing is that I am eager to learn more, to become more competent and confident with diving skills, and to be a safer diver, so that is my motivation for doing it.

Have you looked at the Suunto Vyper (not Vyper Air). It is not much more money than the Zoop but is a lot more computer. If you are going to be a DM you may find the Zoop to be too basic of a computer. I am thinking about getting rid of my comsule computer and replacing it with the Suunto Vyper or the Oceanic Veo 2.0 on a wrist mount.

No, have not really looked into the Suunto Vyper yet. Thanks for your insight, since that's also kind of what I was wondering (if the Zoop would be "too basic" or eventually become "too basic" for DM). Just curious...what, specifically, do you like about the Vyper or Veo 2.0 over the Zoop?

Why would a DM need anything special? (Aside from any product modeling requirements that your shop may request.)

Why would a DM need anything special? (Aside from any product modeling requirements that your shop may request.)

I don't know, I'm not a DM or consider myself near it in terms of training or experience, so you guys tell me...? For those of you who are at that level and beyond, what things do you think any of these computers will make difficult or less convenient due to their features (or lack of)?

If you are going to be a DM and assist with classes and work with divers, you should really think hard about getting gear the shop supports/uses. Not only to get it serviced there but students often look at the gear their instructors and DMs have as a guide to what they buy. Get good gear. The shop I train at has Oceanic, Dive Rite and the Suuntos. I started with the Oceanics and put my daughters in them when they got gear. I upgraded to the Dive Rite a few years ago and have one of my daughters in one too now. The youngest still uses the Oceanic. I have some students who got the Suunto Geekos, then later for their children the Zoop. I have been really impressed with the Suuntos when diving with them and now include them when asked about computers by divers. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Valuable DMs need experience. Divers will ask you all kinds of questions about sites, conditions, equipment, trips, just about anything they comes to mind. There is a good possibility that if you go through DM too fast your creditability could suffer and your skills and experience to where you might have the card but instructors and shops may hesitate to use you. A good DM is priceless. Good Luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom