Guy in Ft. Lauderdale looking to learn Spearfishing on Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MitchFtLaud

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Thanks for looking,

I've been wanting to get into spearfishing for a couple years now and keep finding that despite getting the gear and having a friend who lives in the keys to go with, it hardly ever happens. So I'm hoping to find someone in my area who is willing to go with me, show me the ropes and perhaps end up as a local spearfishing buddy. I live in Plantation so someone in Ft. Lauderdale area would be convienint for both of us. I'm 43, fit, big strong guy - over six foot, work in coporate america, used to be an avid land hunter, spent a decade in the Navy and am easy going.

I'm not against freediving, but I've been diving for decades and am very comfortable in the water and since my breathold is lame, I think scuba is the quickest way to get started. I'm Nitrox certified and comfortable going deep. I've got all my own gear and a 17ft. Twin Vee Bay Cat that is rigged for diving. It's good for about 2-3 multi tank divers or 4 single tank divers if you want to use my boat, so you can bring a friend.

My gun is a Riffe Metal Tech 1S (has wing, floats with shaft out) as I planed on starting with smaller fish at moderate depth(Hogfish is Yuummy!) but plan on getting something bigger like a Rhino RX5 or larger Riffe Mid handle when I'm ready to go after the big guys.

While I'm learning i'm happy to cover gas, ice, drinks whatever. My boat or yours, I'm free weekends, let me know if your intrested.

Thanks,
MrMitchHerman@aol.com

Mitch

Dude, not in your AO, but have you tried spearboard?

good luck

I thought about spearboard first, but I'm not a member there and frankly there were a lot of threads with people bashing non freedivers. Since I was looking for scuba specificly, I thought I'd try here. Thanks for the thought though.

Thanks for looking,

I've been wanting to get into spearfishing for a couple years now and keep finding that despite getting the gear and having a friend who lives in the keys to go with, it hardly ever happens. So I'm hoping to find someone in my area who is willing to go with me, show me the ropes and perhaps end up as a local spearfishing buddy. I live in Plantation so someone in Ft. Lauderdale area would be convienint for both of us. I'm 43, fit, big strong guy - over six foot, work in coporate america, used to be an avid land hunter, spent a decade in the Navy and am easy going.

I'm not against freediving, but I've been diving for decades and am very comfortable in the water and since my breathold is lame, I think scuba is the quickest way to get started. I'm Nitrox certified and comfortable going deep. I've got all my own gear and a 17ft. Twin Vee Bay Cat that is rigged for diving. It's good for about 2-3 multi tank divers or 4 single tank divers if you want to use my boat, so you can bring a friend.

My gun is a Riffe Metal Tech 1S (has wing, floats with shaft out) as I planed on starting with smaller fish at moderate depth(Hogfish is Yuummy!) but plan on getting something bigger like a Rhino RX5 or larger Riffe Mid handle when I'm ready to go after the big guys.

While I'm learning i'm happy to cover gas, ice, drinks whatever. My boat or yours, I'm free weekends, let me know if your intrested.

Thanks,
MrMitchHerman@aol.com

Mitch

I sure wish I lived in your area brother. You wouldn't learn anything from me but I'd sure get out there with you and figure it out! I've been wanting to get into this for years. Good luck.

Thanks everyone, I got a couple of options now and am on my way. Great to be part of this board!

I know there are quite a few spearos at Gold Coast Scuba -- and Chiefy is coming out with his new book on spearing (not sure when hopefully soon!) --

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom