Another wing preference question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NickPhillips

Registered
Reaction score
I am finally buying a bp/wing Set up but having trouble figuring out what wing to buy. I understand it is not prefered to use one wing for singles and doubles so I am fine with buying two sets. What wing do you prefer for single al80 and what wing do you prefer for doubles steel? I am not only diving ow, but caves and wreck as well so durability is a must. Thanks!

I am finally buying a bp/wing Set up but having trouble figuring out what wing to buy. I understand it is not prefered to use one wing for singles and doubles so I am fine with buying two sets. What wing do you prefer for single al80 and what wing do you prefer for doubles steel? I am not only diving ow, but caves and wreck as well so durability is a must. Thanks!

Recommending a wing requires more information than cylinder selection. Exposure suit buoyancy needs to be know before wing capacity can be determined.

Remember, BC's are primarily used to compensate for the change in buoyancy of the diver's exposure suit.

Tobin

Being that I currently live in Dallas, I have been diving in a skin up to a 7 mil depending on season but I am moving to north Carolina next year and will buy a drysuit. I have not used one yet so not sure how it will affect me personally. I weigh 179 and am 5'10. I use roughly 10+- pounds in weight depending in my wetsuit with my zeagle brigade (the bc I have been using)

Being that I currently live in Dallas, I have been diving in a skin up to a 7 mil depending on season but I am moving to north Carolina next year and will buy a drysuit. I have not used one yet so not sure how it will affect me personally. I weigh 179 and am 5'10. I use roughly 10+- pounds in weight depending in my wetsuit with my zeagle brigade (the bc I have been using)

To make an accurate recommendation I need to know the buoyancy of your suit. Without that one is guessing.

Tobin

I am not only diving ow, but caves and wreck as well so durability is a must. Thanks!

You want durable??

[video=youtube;GXx_XflRke4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXx_XflRke4[/video]

It's the only wing I've ever owned, so I don't have much to compare it to; but I have the Mach V Extreme and love it. The material they use is what sold me on it, pretty tuff stuff!! I was told the 40lb wing had the same profile as the 30lb, except 2 inches longer, so I figured it was a no brainer to just get the 40 - and it's still a pretty slim design. The inflator is a little long for my taste, but that can be easily replaced. Edd from Cave Adventurers is the guy to talk to about these!

Tobin makes some really great stuff too! Some of my buddies have his wings, and they're high quality!

Well that did not take long. 5 posts and you have the 2 wings that I would reccomend, DSS or oxycheq. I went with the oxycheq for the sole reason it has a zipper to contain the air cell in the wing. It gave me the peace of mind that if I were traveling I would have a shot at repairing it with duct tape.
Eric

All of the above are very solid wings, I've owned most of them. Lately I've been using a delta wing from UTD for singles and sidemount and an Alpha wing, also UTD for larger doubles. Have a look at them on the website. All the ones mentioned, you can't go wrong.

One more recommendation for an Oxyxheq MachV. I don't think they make the extreme anymore though. The standard MachV are pretty rugged anyway. Never had an ounce of trouble with mine.

I don't think they make the extreme anymore though.

They still have it on their site and cave adventurers. ... they're even making a side mount extreme now as well!

Edit: Well I guess it does say "showroom only" on the oxycheq site... I wonder what that means?? If what you say is true, I'd hurry up and buy one while you can still get them (other vendors)!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom