Oceanic LPI o-ring replacement/LPI head disassembly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KellyAsh

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hi ya'll, I have an LPI that is on page 36 of Oceanic's Authorized Dealer Parts and Service Price List - Doc 12-2111, Effective 15 Sept 2001. The oral inflator button is on the end of the head instead of on the same side as the inflator side button, like most other Oceanic BCDs I've seen. Maybe mine is an older style? IDK. It doesn't matter anyway.

The issue here is it leaks air into my BCD constantly. I understand it's and o-ring issue and believe there might be 2 out of place and either needing proper placement or complete replacement. I've googled it and couldn't find anything on the dissassembly/reassembly of the part, only the Autorized Deal Parts and Price List. So, I know I have to disassemble it and I don't know how to dissassemble the thing beyond removing it from the BCD hose and removing the mouth piece. There are no obvious screws or pins and I don't want to break anything on it so I decided to post the question before jacking with it further. Can anyone give a god description of the processes?

Thanks in advance!

I'll not familiar with your exact inflator, but here is a bit of info you may find helpful. If not, then post a picture of your unit and perhaps we can help you sort it out.

Servicing a standard power inflator video:
https://www.deepseasupply.com/templates/inflator.html

Instructions with pictures can be found here:
http://www.divethoughts.com/servicing-oms-power-inflator/
Here is a link to a PDF manual for a Halcyon inflator-very similar to most.
www.halcyon.net/files/manuals/halcyon_inflator04_v1.pdf

Parts can be found here:
Power Inflators - Parts - Northeast Scuba Supply

BTW a balanced power inflator like the ScubaPro model is less prone to auto inflating. If you're going to replace your inflator, you may want to consider that. Additionally, if you're going to by the tool, this BC/Tank valve tool BC - Valve Tool - Northeast Scuba Supply will come in handy if you decide to operate on your tank valve.

The Oceanic Inflator from 2011 is not intended to be disassembled, Oceanic doesn't even sell a kit for that inflator anymore, you simply get a new inflator for $29.95-$49.95 depending on your LDS's markup and slap it in place. If you try to pull it apart you are guaranteed to break the inflator button assembly. If the Inflator is an older style alliance inflator, squarish buttons, then it can be serviced, however you will probably pay as much or more for labor and parts as just buying the new version and putting it in place.

Thanks all. Good stuff all the way around. I thought it might not be able to be serviced but wasn't sure. Off to find a new one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom