what is everyone doing about the Helium shortage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

landonnin1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I mix my own gases and lately in my area I can not buy any Helium. So I wanted to see what others might be doing to get helium for their tri mix
or if any one in the Michigan area can help me get a bottle as I have some diving coming up for research the is going to require helium

Thank you
Matt
[h=1][/h]

I just fill my tanks with hot air.. It is light and cheap.

I mix my own gases and lately in my area I can not buy any Helium. So I wanted to see what others might be doing to get helium for their tri mix
or if any one in the Michigan area can help me get a bottle as I have some diving coming up for research the is going to require helium

Money talks. If you talk to a gas supplier and offer to pay higher than market rates, they'll probably find some for you.

The problem is that you've been used to an artificially low price and and artificially high supply, courtesy of the US government dumping it's helium reserves.

It will never be this cheap again, so you may end up changing the kind of dives you do or get used to paying a lot more.

flots.

I don't dive trimix but my shop owner does. Half the guys in our area and saying we have helium. We did. Now my shop is calling around asking who has helium. Only one shop has admitted to having any. He'll probably be out in a few days.

Most the OC divers are talking about CCR. I was going to go technical next year. Now I'm thinking if a dive is going to cost me $200 I might go rebreather. With the 'recreational' rebreathers getting pushed a DEMA last year, maybe they'll come down in price over the next few years. :(

Last edited:
It's still availible here at about $1 per cuft.

I use about 6cuft worth of 10/50 for a typical deep dive

IMG_20120725_184942.jpg

geezz I'm going to get my ballons filled

I dive a rebreather now. I have a set 130s that have enough trimix (12/65 premix) in them to last me a year or more. That is what is getting me through this shortage, and beyond.

I feel sorry for the OC guys. I remember when we did Halifax 5-10 years ago and ordered up 20-30 T's of He, no problem. There is no way that would happen now.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom