Kavieng Accomodations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peterjmaerz

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi Folks,

Just got some good news: my May itinterary in PNG has been changed from the FeBrina to the Star Dancer (with a cabin upgrade to boot!) and now departs from Kavieng and terminates at Walindi rather than a Walindi-Walindi itinerary. I'm excited that I'll be able to experience the high-powered diving in the Kavieng area . I had been planning to spend nights before departure at Walindi but now need to consider accomodations in Kavieng.
Any advice? Also, any comparisons between FeBrina and Star Dancer? Capt. Raabe will remain my captain for the journey.

Thanks much

Thanks Reuben,

Had stumbled upon an earlier iteration of their website which stated that guests had to supply their own food and cook on "barbeque facitilities"! This looks a lot better.
Cdiver, I'll be diving Kimbe bay on the StarDancer and will also spend 2 more days at Walindi following my excursion.

Thanks again,

Peter I am insanely jelous. Everything at Walindi is in the price except drink. Not a great deal to do on shore but if you have a little time you may want to visit the hot river.
Enjoy, I did and live for the day when I can afford to go back.

Peter when you get to Walindi say Hi to Max, Cecile, Dale Shanda, Joseph and Martin's 1 and 2. Also are the lasers still working ?
David & Colleen
Thanks

Hey David & Colleen,

I'll definitely pass on your greetings to the Walindi staff, or whomever's still there in May.
On another subject, what did you guys take (if anything) to ward off Malaria? I've downloaded reams of discussion from this board and elsewhere (Consumer Reports has a brief article this month warning of horrendous side effects from some meds).
Curious to hear others' experiences.

Best,

We took maloprin, started 2 days before we got there then one a day while we were there and one a day for seven days after we left. Our insurance paid for it but it was not that exp without the insurance. No ill affects for Colleen or myself.

Check with Alan. He discourages the use of many anti-malarials. He encourages Doxycycline. It can make you somewhat photosensitive, but most of the others have subtle side effects that can mimic DCS. I've used four different anti-malarials, and have had the least trouble with Doxy.
I will be with Alan on the Star Dancer the end of May through June. If you're in Kavieng, don't miss Albatross Channel. Lotsa current but what a place!!! You'll also love the "bottle shop" right in Kavieng channel.

Back
Top Bottom