weight belts or integrated?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends on the BCD. I've had integrated that put me in every position but trim so I took them out and just used a belt. Pro's to a belt is that the weights can be moved and placed where you need them. Pro's for integrated is that they are usually a bit more comfortable (at least the few I've tried) and gets rid of one more separate piece of equipment.

I am very much an integrated vote on this one. Between wight pockets and back slots, I can get the trim I need with all but 2 to 4 pound of weight being easily ditchable if needed. (I've not had that need in nearly 1000 dives). Comfort is the big plus, as is the fact that you don't have to worry about the weight belt slipping or coming loose. (it can happen). Then again, people drop wight pockets too. It's a personal preference thing. The type of diving being done can also impact the selection. I will go to a belt if I am in cold water wearing an exposure suit that requires me to wear more than about 16 pounds.
DivemasterDennis

Last edited:
In your particular case, being on the small side, you will not need much weight. While 30 pounds of hard weights hanging from your hips may be uncomfortable, 2 to 6 pounds would hardly be noticed. If you decide on the belt, look at pocket weight belts and soft weights for added comfort.

I used to use separate weights, then I tried integrated.
I'm not going back.
Integrated is just so much more comfortable.
With a belt you have the belt pulling down and the BCD pulling up.
I find this strains my back, plus some of us are kind of triangular with no waist, so to prevent the belt slipping off it needs to be uncomfortably tight..

For integrated, I've only used the velcro. What are the other types of integrated weight?

Some integrated weight systems are very bulky, even when empty of weights. I use weight pouches which are flat when empty.

Both. I split my weight between a belt/harness and integrated/plate.

This helps to keep my rig balanced. It makes it easier on the boat crew if they have to haul my BC onto the boat. It keeps me from sinking should I need to take my BC off.
And underwater, if I need to ditch and don to clear an entanglement, it keeps both me and my BC from rocketing in different directions.
It's much easier on your shoulders and back too if you don't put all the weight on either one.

There really are no huge pros and cons over each, since the belt is simplistic and the integrated weights for the most part are easy to use. Both are reliable when set up and used correctly.

With belts you're able to ditch all your weight completely with one single stroke.

With integrated, you may have to perform an action twice (Which can be done at the same time).
This may be beneficial should you not want to have an uncontrolled ascent. ie. dumping half your weight instead of all

I have tried both and much prefer integrated weight pockets. Easier to deal with and better trim for me in the water.

The main plus of integrated weights is that you don't have to wear a belt, something which can be difficult for people whose conformation doesn't give them anything on which to HANG a belt :)

The cons are that a) integrated weight pockets have a limit to how much weight they can carry, and it's a lot less than a belt; b) integrated weights hang all the weight off your shoulders, which can be uncomfortable for some people; c) rigs with the weights installed are difficult to move around on land; d) the location of the weight pockets may or may not be where you need your weight for best balance underwater.

None of these things is a big issue in the tropics, where the total weight required is so small, but they loom much larger in cold water diving.

A final point is that ALL weight systems are trying to accomplish two diametrically opposed things: They are trying to keep the weight you need ON you (losing a significant amount of weight underwater is a very high risk for an uncontrolled ascent) while still making it easy to ditch that weight when it's required. As with octo-holders, weight systems rarely do both well. Velcro, in particular, makes it pretty easy to ditch weight -- but Velcro fatigues and acquires debris, and old Velcro weight pockets are notorious for falling out. I would highly recommend choosing a weight-integration system that uses some kind of positive lock retention mechanism, but even those aren't foolproof.

If you do go with a weight belt, you can either use one of the pocketed belts, like the ones XS Scuba sells, or a belt onto which you install hard weights. If you are going to travel, the pocketed belts are great, because you take your belt, and put as much weight as you need in it when you get where you are going. It's easy to change the weight for different conditions and exposure protection. On the other hand, the pockets on those belts (which are secured with Velcro :) ) aren't foolproof, so if you are diving at home, setting up a weight belt with installed hard weights is a better strategy. Two tips: One, if you are using a webbing belt, put a metal buckle on it. The plastic ones are NOT reliable. And two, consider one of the rubber free-diving weight belts with a tongued buckle. I was very dubious about this until Dumpster Diver from here on SB just upped and SENT me one, telling me to try it and pay him for it if I liked it. He got paid :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom