Irukanji questions..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WOODMAN

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A friend of mine got hooked by one of those TV specials that overdramatize things (especially anything dangerous:shakehead:), and now she is all upset about those "little killer jellyfish that kill dozens of people every year in Australia!". After much probing, I figured out that she was talking about Irukanji, which as you know are a variant of box jellyfish with several important differences. They are much smaller than the usual box jellies, they only have one tentacle per corner rather than the 3 or 4 characteristic of a box jelly, and the envenomization differs markedly. They often leave only vague marks on the skin when contact is made, with few initial symptoms noted. A far more serious problem (called Irukanji Syndrome) develops later, with symptoms ranging from mild pain to intensely severe cardiac and respiratory collapse, usually requiring intensive hospital care. All this is fairly well known and documented. My question is, just how bad is the problem, really? I can find precious little data on how often these little beggars actually cause trouble. I found one estimate of about 60 envenomizations a year around Cairns, but not much info from anywhere else. Also, the vague way that the syndrome presents itself and the lack of any real immediate symptoms when stinging occurs do not help with this. I have only found a few nonspecific references to actual fatalities, but a lot of the data is several years old. So, I come to my friends here for a more realistic picture of the current problem. I am sure some of you have a better handle on this, so give me some facts that I can soothe my nervous friend with. Many thanks for your help. Woody

Partial answers (fairly frequent hospitalizations, occasional deaths, avoidance, potential effective treatment, etc ) at least implied on some of these pages (which you probably have already seen):

The Dangers of a Jellyfish Sting & What You Need to Know : Road & Travel Magazine

Irukandji Jellyfish

BBC NEWS | Health | Hope for lethal jellyfish cure

Irukandji (Carukia barnesi) | Australian Venom Research Unit

And this abstract, although talking about Malaysia, shares your apparent concern that there isn’t enough reporting / data gathering:

Fatal and severe box jellyfish stings, ... [J Travel Med. 2011 Jul-Aug] - PubMed - NCBI

A couple of these sites were new to me, but they all seem to suffer from a lack of current data, which was my problem to begin with. I appreciate your help, though, and am open to any further information on how severe this problem currently is. Woody

The Queensland Government collates data on a regular basis, the most recent being 2011; I'm not sure you'll get anything more recent than that. The link is here: Marine Stingers (Jellyfish).

You can also contact them for further information.

Dozens of people killed every year? Lol. I think there are only like two real cases ever attributed to the irukandji.

It makes the news when those kinds of things happen, ( just like every shark attack) and there hasn't been one for years and years. I'd be far more worried about box jellyfish and I think only 70 people all up have ever been killed by one of those.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Dozens of people killed every year? Lol. I think there are only like two real cases ever attributed to the irukandji.

This is pretty much what I thought. If this situation was really that severe, we would be hearing a lot more about it, and most people have never even heard of the Irukandji. But, for those people who only get their information from TV shows, this is the kind of situation you are likely to get. I still can't believe what passes for fact on that dratted "Shark Week" on the discovery channel. I knew that if I asked someone from Oz I would get the real story. Now I have to go back to my fearful little friend and try to set her straight.:shakehead:
Irukandji and sharks and stingrays- oh my!:scared:

The main difference is that boxies are not found more than about 10km from the nearest mangrove creek so they simply arent way offshore...but irukandji have been found out wide. A few divers get stung each year but multiple deaths......is just not true. A few people die each year on the coastal beaches but they are usually immunocompromised or children. Far greater risk here of sunburn...that's what you have to be really careful of

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom