diving portage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justadyver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
looking to go to portage quarry this weekend. heard vis was around 10' because of alge bloom. can anybody confirm? i dont want to drive 4 1/2 hours for that vis. I can dive in the same thing closer to home

I have not been to Portage yet this year. But I have "heard" the viz has been poor.

Gilboa may be a better choice. Many of the quarries have had poorer viz of late, especially the shallower ones. Possibly due to the algae blooms and recent storms.

I was at Gilboa 2 weeks ago. Viz poorer near the copter and plane area, got worse as the day progressed due to classes.

We found some good viz in the forest area above/behind the tubes.

I was at Portage last weekend after they had gotten a total 3 1/2 inches of rain over two days. Vis was not good but it was diveable and the water was warm. I'd estimate 10 - 12 feet in some places and as much as twenty on some of the shallower slopes (depth 13 - 18 feet). The plane had maybe 10 feet and I may be crazy, NO COMMENTS FROM THE PEANUT GALLERY ON THAT, but I really enjoyed it. It required my students and I to slow down and really use our nav skills. Or more accurately let them see the value in theirs. It was also cool discovering things that kind of just popped out of the gloom. I like that.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Last week Gilboa had viz of 30-40 feet at the start of the day. Viz started to drop as classes and divers showed up later in the day.

Dove Portage in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and last, 2004; viz is pretty much the same---crappy! Gilboa's worst day is Portage's best day. And that's a fact, Jack!!! Besides that, we won't have to worry about that too much longer. It sounds like Portage will soon be history.

Dove Portage in the 60's, 70's, 80's, 90's and last, 2004; viz is pretty much the same---crappy! Gilboa's worst day is Portage's best day. And that's a fact, Jack!!! Besides that, we won't have to worry about that too much longer. It sounds like Portage will soon be history.

Do tell. What's the scoop?

Consider White Star. The limestone tends to settle faster so even if the students or rain muck it up it's settled by the next morning.

Paula

Hey, do tell. I haven't heard that yet. That occasionally gets talked about, but not much in terms of details.

Portage is, or will be sold shortly, (I think it has been sold) and get this--it's going to be filled in. This info came from Mike at Gilboa and he is usually on top of any news about his competition. I just heard this last fri. and don't have details as to who bought it or what it's going to turn into.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom