Entry Level Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Isecond5

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I just got my OW Certification and plan on an AOW soon, but I need/want a dive computer, my dive buddy has a Hollis DG02 and it's cool but idk if I would want something a little bit more advanced? I was looking at the DG03 and it seems like a good investment compared to everything else in its price range, but should I save 100-150 bucks and get a DG02 so me and him have the same comp or just something better for the same price roughly?

Was looking at: Mares Puck, Hollis DG02, Genesis React Pro, Cressi Leonardo and possible an old Uwatec Aladdin Pro Nitrox, open to suggestions.

Thanks,
isecond

No sure what you mean by more advanced? maybe you can be a bit more specific. Dive computers calculate dive profiles based on gas use in relation to depth, time and altitude. Most recreational computer these days already have Nitrox support. Not sure what else you require based on your possible budget?

The DC's you listed are all good and will provide you with the dive information you require. I personally like the Hollis and also the Suunto Zoop. You have to map you personal requirements and budget to a device. In short they all work fine!

To narrow down your choice, ask yourself what you are looking for in a dive computer. To get you started, here are some things to consider:
* do you want to download your dive profile to a pc? if so, how expensive is the interface if you have to buy it separately?
* do you want to change the battery yourself? How expensive are the batteries? how long do they last?
* do you like the interface? do you prefer one button (lots of scrolling, but can't push the wrong button) or more buttons? can you easily read the relevant numbers?
* new or secondhand? how much do you want to pay for it?
* air integrated or not?

A very good starting point is the DiveNav comparison tool.

Bow to the inevitable and just get a Shearwater Predator.

1) Nitrox or trimix compatible, with up to 5 gasses

2) A superb very easy to read color display with different color options

3) Regular firmware updates and excellent support

4) Good infrared and bluetooth interface at no extra cost that will run on a PC or a MAC

5) User changeable battery

6) Can run both Gradient Factor or VPB-B algorithms

7) Dive planning function

8) The screen uses commonly available protectors, but can also be factory replaced at minimal charge.

It costs more than the average recreational computer but it is no more expensive than something like a SOL, but the cost over the long run is not really any more expensive as if you buy one now, you'll never have to buy another dive computer again.

As long as you do not intend to do gas switches (almost) any DC will do :cool2:
readability and comfort with the menues are important
Just have a look at some DC at your LDS.
You might want to read the manuals online to see whether they are advanced enough for you.
Of course if you want a really advanced DC the Predatro is the one to go for :D but you asked for an entry level computer.

Mares puck or sunto will do the job

Keep in mind that a computer is not a necessity for diving.

You could get yourself and spg, depth guage and timer and continue to dive tables as you learned in OW. In your position, I would be looking at other things such as regulator and BC before a computer.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to advise you against getting a computer, they are great tools.

The DG02 is the oceanic veo180 and the dgo3 is the oceanic vt3. Since they are both discontinued you could get a better price for the same computer and turn on the conservative mode to get almost the same bottom time.

You could get yourself and spg, depth guage and timer and continue to dive tables as you learned in OW. In your position, I would be looking at other things such as regulator and BC before a computer.

Recreational tables suck. They are way too course, especially as you go deeper, and if you drop a few feet to see something cool, or recover something you dropped, you can screw your NDL to the point where you have to miss part of your dive.

Back
Top Bottom