AOWD Gili Trawangan: advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rvdniet

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

In September I will be visiting Gili Trawangan and I'm planning to do the PADI AOWD.
Can somebody give me some advise about a good and safe dive center?

And is it better to pre-arrange everything or just do this locally?

Thanks!

About 4 years ago I did my OW on Gili Trawangan with Bali Dive Academy, located at Hotel Villa Ombak. Since then I have also dived with them in Pemuteran and on Nusa Lembongan. They are a pretty big and wellrun organisation. We had a very good, local instructor. We booked on the of our arrival and could start that same day. I suppose you can also book in advance (september can be pretty busy on GiliT) but when booking locally you can check out several divecenters in person and see which one you like best.

Happy diving!

I can warmly reccomend Trawangan Dive Centre
www.trawangandive.com

I went there in Feb 12. I halfways prearranged. They are quick to respond to emails. (Also on a weekend... although internet might be a bit up and down it never took more than 2 days for replies.) The guides were very knowledgeable, and the instructors are thorough! I can reccomend Phil Moores! I was quite the newbie when I got there, but felt very well taken care of, and got to do some quite spectacular dives.
(After your AOWD, take a trip to Deep Halik. We found quite a few pygmy seahorses)

Bungalows are comfortable (Only downside is that the centre is a bit close to the mosque, so in the morning you have a feeling the muezzin is in your bathroom...) I god used to it.
The staff make you feel right at home! And a good party or two will always happen. James quizzes are legendary :wink:

Try Bee Diver | Facebook. Can't recommend enough...trust me :wink:

Last May I dove with them. I think they are pretty knowledgeable and conservative in teaching divers. Ask for Michael to be your guide. He was my guide when I was there, and he's very good in finding critters that you haven't seen before. :)

They are willing to assist you for your accommodation and travel. I contacted them via email before I arrived, and they had arranged everything for you. Just make sure you make clear arrangement before you go, since they have quite a lot of bookings.

Just try contact them, and I think you'd be happy. Because I am. :)

Hi,

In September I will be visiting Gili Trawangan and I'm planning to do the PADI AOWD.
Can somebody give me some advise about a good and safe dive center?

And is it better to pre-arrange everything or just do this locally?

Thanks!

I would arrive and choose your centre once you get on the island. Walk up and down and get a feel for a centre and it's staff.

Back
Top Bottom