Back up computer / SPF

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slmason.72

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I currently dive a Suunto D6i and love it. Later this year, I am hoping to take TDI advanced nitrox, decompression procedures and extended range. Prior to that I have a couple of weeks of vacation diving in the Bahamas and Panama City Beach lined up.

I love my D6i, but have read enough threads on loss of wireless integration to worry that I should have some redundancy for my upcoming dives and eventual entry into the tech realm. I have the opportunity to pick up a new Tusa Elements II console with SPG for just under $200. It has guage mode which gives me the redundancy I would need for deco and extended range as well as the redundancy of an SPG. It appears that other than needing to set proper mix for nitrox, the Tusa is pretty much a stick it in an out of the way place and forget it backup for my D6 while on Rec dives, similar in this function to the BUD, but with more functionality and an attached SPG.

Any thoughts on backing up a wireless suunto with a cheap Tusa console?

Last edited:
My main computer isn't wireless, but I dive with a back up. Mine is the hockey puck style and I keep it in a BC pocket on a reel.

You should go the other direction. Keep your cheap Suunto and pick up a technical diving computer. The biggest piece of functionality you want is the ability to perform a gas switch (so that your profile will adjust to the fact that you're decompressing using 50-100% O2). The Shearwater Predator, Liquivision and other tech computers will accomplish that.

If you don't want to go the full decompression/tec computer route, a good bottom timer (two, actually) is a must. Your Suunto is a recreational computer that will handle decompression, but will do so extremely poorly due to the way they write those algorithms (enormously conservative = looong deco stops).

Good point on the D6 being too conservative for Tec. I just ran a dive plan through DM4, simple 130 ft / 30 minutes. The Suunto planner has me down almost 30 minutes longer than V-planner.

In that case though, I could use the D6 in gauge mode and still get my dive profile information (I really like having my tank pressure on my wrist), use a Liquivision Xeo as my primary deco computer, and still have something like the Tusa, also in gauge mode as a secondary back up with SPG and tables.

I can't see buying a console for tech diving, as opposed to a simple SPG. I like the Xeo and the X1, but the Shearwaters are very popular too. OLED screens are great!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom