Oxycheq Mach 5 is the most unsafe???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OldNSalty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I didn't realize this as I have been diving this setup for a couple of years now but the OxyCheq Mach 5 is the most unsafe piece of equipment ever...this according to my wife's instructor.

Now I wasn't there for her pool session but she just came back from the first one with SCUBA and she was a little upset by the entire experience. He allowed her to try it and then asked her if I had recently taken out life insurance on her because of the wing. He then told her that it was unsafe (unsafest thing he had ever seen to quote him exactly).

I am a little mad, I found his comments a little ignorant...but mostly concerned about my wife's comfort in the water (which the comment didn't help)

Anyway, thoughts?

I didn't realize this as I have been diving this setup for a couple of years now but the OxyCheq Mach 5 is the most unsafe piece of equipment ever...this according to my wife's instructor.

Now I wasn't there for her pool session but she just came back from the first one with SCUBA and she was a little upset by the entire experience. He allowed her to try it and then asked her if I had recently taken out life insurance on her because of the wing. He then told her that it was unsafe (unsafest thing he had ever seen to quote him exactly).

I am a little mad, I found his comments a little ignorant...but mostly concerned about my wife's comfort in the water (which the comment didn't help)

Anyway, thoughts?

His shop doesn't sell that wing so it must be "life threatening" :). Sounds like the only safe piece of dive equipment would be what his shop sells! :shocked2:My advice - run from this shop! The Mach 5 Oxycheq is a great wing. Instructors like you describe give a bad rep to the diving industry.

Unless of course there is a huge gaping hole in the wing :)

Last edited:
Base on what the instructor made such a statement? Without facts, not much can be discussesed

Ask about the rational for the statement> If as stupid as I expect explain that you will need a full refund as the instructor has scared his student and that neither of you have any confidence in him.

I think there was a recall, one run had a spring on the OPV valve that could corrode and fail open. This could allow air to leak when horizontal.

I like mine and have no issues with it. Calling it unsafe is over zealous.

Anyway, thoughts?

It sounds like the instructor's focus is in the wrong place.

Hopefully they did go over diving a balanced rig so they can all swim back to the surface in the event of a wing failure, and hopefully they did discuss dropping weights. All too commonly students are grossly over weighed so they can "comfortably" sit on their knees on the bottom. That is good for the class, and bad for the long term safety of the students.

I've been diving an Oxycheq wing since 2004, have never had an issue and do not feel in peril.

The context was that he had to adjust it to help it fit. He also needed to adjust the cam bands (it's a brand new piece of equipment). My wife had issues removing it and putting it back on in water. Also, it sounds like he did not adjust the cam bands correctly as she said the tank kept floating up and hitting her in the head. I told her that she need to tighten up the waste and she said no-the 'thing' was in place but the tank itself kept floating around. I don't know-I wasn't there but I am going out on his boat int he morning (diving the same rig-just not pink) and will get his side of it.

well, then, update your will & prepare to die!

........................waiting...................................................................

.............................................................still waiting........................

....................................................................................................

hey, look, it didn't happen. now tell him to go fug himself & find another instructor.

Did you ask him what makes it "unsafe" ? If he means that it is not a life jacket that will hold your head and airway clear of the water if unconscious you might explain to him that a BC of any sort is not a rated life jacket nor is that a function to which any BC has ever been designed though the old hoarse collar type will do the job in a pinch. They are then, if that is his logic the safest.

The Mach V is among the best designed, overbuilt, heavy duty, reliable pieces of modern equipment made.

N

Back
Top Bottom