Staying in Manado or Bunakan Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrrworld

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone have advice on whether to stay in Bunakan or Manado for four nights/3 days and any recommendations for places to stay? Siladen resort is out of my budget but now that I am married, i need something that passes the spouse test! :wink: I was there 14 years ago when the accommodations were basic on the island and the town of Manado wasn't the most exciting but it looks like things have changed there since 1998. One thing I am wondering about is do you do more diving each day if you stay on the island? In 98, you could do 4 dives a day if staying on the island but the dive shops from manado did only 2, sometimes 3. From a quick check of websites, it looks like the bunakan resorts are only offering 2 dives a day now, kind of killing the advantage of staying on the island if true.

Thanks for any advice.

Cheers

Michael

Michael,
Personally I prefer to stay on the island. I have not seen any problem to have 3 -4 dives per day particularly if you are 2 diver or more.
However, I just back from my family diving trip to Walea, and Manado.
This time we stayed on the island, at La Rascasse. simple but nice resort, with AC, near malalayang beach. Their boat can reach Bunaken in less than 40 minutes - typicaly 3 dive/day with lunch in the boat.
Their house reef is good as well for night diving.
We're greedy - we want to have 3 or more diving / day, playing tennis every morning, and get good Manado ikan bakar (grilled fish) or visit mall at the night.
We got all, total 17 dive in 5 days in Manado, including 2 x 3 dives/day trip to lembeh ( a bit tiring, almost 2 hours trip one way).

I would say that la ras has some very good food.

Hey...

If you are wanting to stay on one of the Islands but Siladen is out of the price range consider Living Colours - more affordable and have a great reputation. Also consider Bunaken Island Resort, Bunaken Cha Cha

As AlMitch suggests...maybe think about Bangka as well - Murex or Mimpi Indah or Blue Bay.

If you are wanting to stay on the mainland then look at Tasik Ria or Minahasa Lagoon or maybe Cocotinos?

If you are on KITAS then let them know when inquiring many places will have rates for KITAS holders.

Another idea...Come to Lembeh!!

Thanks everyone. Looks like rooms have gone fast on the island so i may have to stay in Manado. Looking at Murex or La Rascasse. Fortunately, I live in Jakarta so Lembah and Bangka will be saved for another day.

I stayed at Seagarden Resort, nice and clean bungalows, good food, great atmosphere and rather cheap. I dived with Living Colors, just a 10 minute walk from Seagarden Resort and a great dive operator...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom