Spotted: Jellyfish in Welland Scuba Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr Dog

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was out in the old canal today, enjoying a 30' foot dive, when bot my buddy and I seemed to see it at the same time, two kind of see through "somethings" that seemed to be defying the flow of the canal. ( I cant call it a current, but the water in the canal is moving north). As we got closer, the figure was unmistakable, two juvenile white colored Jellyfish.

These were not big at all, but it was super cool to see something other than Gobys and Bass .

I did get confirmation from a couple instructors that were hanging about, that they had seen them too, and one claimed they could easily be from an aquarium that someone had dumped some fish. I find that story kind of fishy, and suspect some eggs caught a ride on someone who was down south, and with our really warm waters this year ( scuba park water temp was 87 at surface and 80 and 30 feet)

Anyways, keep an eye out, you may see them, I saw them between the tug and the swing bridge

btw how was the viz?

Hey scuba noob, this is freshwater, well at least not salt water

T4e it was about 10 feet at best, but there was a class right before we got in the water, and a bunch of random divers, so it could have been stirred up sediment.

The sunken tug was lively with fish though

thanks Dr. Dog, we plan on getting out there soon

I was shown two jellyfish today at the Swing Bridge site of the Welland Scuba Park. Quite interesting to see and these were much bigger than those I've seen previously.

---------- Post Merged at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:51 PM ----------

http://www.freshwaterjellyfish.org/canada.html#BC
Just spotted this in another thread on this site. Good information about Freshwater Jellyfish.

Very cool, I thought it was neat, would be nice to see something other than algae and zebra mussels

So I got back out today to try and take a few photos of these neat little critters. Here's a cropped image of one that didn't turn out too bad. At Swing Bridge. IMG_3019-FWJelly 1.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom