Oxycheq wing re-assembly and gasket compatibily questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shekes

Contributor
Reaction score
Four years ago I completely disassembled my Oxycheq wing for storage. In my ignorance I wasn't using any tools just unscrewed all threads and pulled the OPV bases out of the bladder. A few days ago, still just as ignorant, I reassembled the wing the same way; with my bare hands.

Unfortunately, the wing leaked quite a bit of air. So I went online and discovered the "Wing BC tool": Wing BC Tool : OxyCheq - DiveOps, Analyzers and Scuba Diving Equipment

I believe to understand how this tool works but I do not understand why it is needed if can be done without. Actually, when I unscrew the OPV the upper part of the OPV base unscrews with it so I understand now that the OPV base thread should have been tightened more than the valve to the base thread.

This however is not my problem. The leak is at the elbow. Since the Wing Elbow Rubber Gasket had deep marks from the OPV base, and I had a dis-assembled Zeagle Scout right there, I replaced it with a "Flat Gasket for Zeagle BC Shoulder Valve" that looked identical to me.

Wing Elbow Rubber Gasket : OxyCheq - DiveOps, Analyzers and Scuba Diving Equipment
BC Save-A-Dive Kit - Pockets and Knives - BC Accessories - Zeagle Dive Systems

The leak improved a lot but when I submerge it in the tub, a few bubbles do escape.

So, does anybody know if the gaskets are in fact identical?
I live in Ireland and procuring either would cost me $30 or so in shipping. So can I order just 2 of the Oxycheq ones?
Do I still need the strange tool and why? Any other parts I should order or anything else I can do to stop the leak?
Is it OK to leave the OPV in its present condition? (Screwed into the upper part of the OPV base.)

I had thought the gaskets were standard but later learned that this is not necessarily the case. I believe that there can be different thicknesses. One thing to look out for is that the gasket is not so thick that the elbow cannot lock securely withing the 11 or so angled grooves.

But your problem might be with bite on the inner gasket (the one that catches both the inner bladder and outer bag), esp if you put the valve assembly back together without tightening it with the special tool.

Hm, not sure what you mean by "bite on the inner gasket". I know the inner double-gasket, I just still don't get what could be wrong with it and how the tool would help it. The Oxycheq/Zeagle elbow/flat gasket is as far as I can distinguish exactly the same. The elbow locks even if it is a bit awkward to put on with just two hands. The elbow bubbles a bit and, as I said, the outer part of the OPV seems to be screwed into the OPV for good. So that when I try to unscrew the OPV only the inner part stays on the wing.

The questions of compatibility remain. And I have another one.
Could other manufacturer's parts fit the Oxycheq and or Zeagle BCs?

In another thread someone suggested DSS would fit and might be better quality.
Also I could get a used Hollis C45 here in Dublin for $200. If the parts are interchangeable it might be a better investment than paying $150 for the same set of parts+shipping from US. The shipping alone comes to $30 to $40 and for all I know all I need is 2x flat gaskets worth $1.75-$3.99 each.

I couldn't find a thread on this. But someone here surely owns wings from different manufacturers and knows what fits what.

The elbow is the same as DiveRite. The OPV is also same as Diverite. I swapped out my Oxycheq OPV valves for the DSS ones, no problem. The DiveRite gasket from DiveGearExpress works with the Oxy wings.

www.divegearexpress.com/bcs/bcdparts.shtml

Scroll down the page its part number: DR-BC2747

I bought an elbow fro them also it looked and felt better quality than the one both my Oxys came with.

Thanks! I already spoke to DiveRite yesterday and they said the same thing. They also said that their new BCs have the OPV base welded to the bladder because of the problems they have had with the modular system ( FXBC2700).

I am now considering to replace the original Oxycheq elbow&hose with DiveRite's "Remote Exhaust Elbow" (DR-BC2807).
I use an octo-inflator instead of an conventional octopuss and I wonder if pulling on it while breathing through the oco-inflator would help me to maintain buoyancy in a OOA situation. What do you think?

I started a thread on that as well: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...when-using-octo-inflator-ooa.html#post6432395

I have an Oxy wing spanner and use it only for removal. I prefer to put a VERY light coating of silicon sealant on the gasket and never have a leak. The adhesive strength of the sealant is just enough to make a very low pressure seal so the plastic nut does not have to be more than hand tight. I also put a SMALL dab on the threads to act as a lock.

The dried seal is easily broken and wiped clean when it is time to remove. Just make sure you use very small amounts.

Using the tool to remove the hardware helps to prevent bladder pinch (sounds painful, doesn't it?) If you don't have the tool that holds the inner flange in place you have to grasp it along with the bladder and cover material from the outside. This can cause the dreaded bladder pinch. You might also stretch the bladder (again, very painful) at the flange opening and now you'll have to deal with the over-sized opening.

I too, only hand tighten the flange, but I use the tool to hold the inner piece in place.

Getting back to your question. If the plastic hardware is not defective-i.e. no cracks, there are three areas that could be suspect, so you'll have to determine which area is leaking to sort out the problem.

1. Bladder hole too large or you've pinched a tiny hold in it.
2. Flange to bladder seal leak.
3. Elbow to outer flange seal leak.

BTW forget about a pull dump at the elbow. Why pull on the weakest part of your BC? Also, look at the parts count in one of those contraptions compared to a simple elbow. KISS

Thanks! I am pretty sure there is no hole. I ordered 4x flanges + gaskets from DiveRite today. I couldn't get the tool but at least I know now what it would be for.

I will use silicon on threads.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom