SCUBAPRO X-TEK FORM SYSTEM or Holllis 100 WHIHC SHOULD I GET

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ukspice69

Registered
Reaction score
I have getting back in to scuba diving just come back from a week in Keys and going to the bahamas for a week, time too buy equipment, I went on a dive with a group and one guy had the [h=1]SCUBAPRO X-TEK FORM SYSTEM I thought that is a really cool , bc it had pocket and good D ring and capable of one tank. or should I get a Hollis 100HD I really like that BC. I am tring to figure the pro and cons with each one. [/h]

I have no experience with either of those BC's, but looking at the images, and descriptions I would go with the Hollis. It looks like it would preform better out of the two.
I ran for years a Zeagle Ranger and loved it, but now I run a BP/W (like a Hollis Solo with the S wing)

Hollis Gear: Solo
Hollis Gear: S Series

I picked it up because of its ability to be sized perfectly, but it's performance has been incomparable. Every one of my regular dive buddies, seeing me under water have now begun the switch themselves :)
I am fully a recreational diver, I have done 0 technical dives, so don't let that worry you.
You can also add whatever options you want, for instance if you need weight pockets:
Hollis Gear: QLR Weight System

Pocket?
Hollis Gear: Utility Pouch

I am just using hollis as an example, because I was already there. There are several others that manufacture comparable items.

thank I looked at the ranger too, i was a little worried about the rip cord, do they get caught and open by mistake at all

My view is that the Hollis HD 100 is a typical back inflate BC - too much padding, the mixed blessing of weight integration, no growth potential, and not enough tank stability.

My view of the Scubapro X-Tek Form harness is that it is not quite technical and yet not really recreational - sort of a cross over rec to tech BP/Wing. I think the straps are more complicated than they need to be, and the padding is in my opinion not needed but it will be far less bulky and less buoyant than the padding on the HD100. I am not a fan of the useless small 1" D-rings on the side of the back plate, and I am not a real fan of 2 pairs of non adjustable shoulder D-rings. Scubapro did that with their Rec Tek line in the 1990s - when everyone else who made BP/wings started moving away from complicated harnesses and fixed D-rings. That said, some people like the comfort of a pivot ring style harness with a chest strap and the X-Tek Form does that without the pivot rings. It also has the advantage of being able to accept different wings allowing you to get a wing that will best meet you lift and tank requirements. And Scubapro's donut wings are pretty good, even by technical diving standards.

However, if you are doing strictly recreational dives and do a bit of traveling, the Scubapro Litehawk is a good choice. It is lightweight and simple in design with a decent back inflate design and is very clean in the water with minimal drag and minimal crap dangling off it. The cam pack used in it also offers very good stability compared to most other BCs. It also offers the option of weight integration without adding a great deal of bulk and it is one the best values Scubapro has for a recreational BC.

My view is that the Hollis HD 100 is a typical back inflate BC - too much padding, the mixed blessing of weight integration, no growth potential, and not enough tank stability.

My view of the Scubapro X-Tek Form harness is that it is not quite technical and yet not really recreational - sort of a cross over rec to tech BP/Wing. I think the straps are more complicated than they need to be, and the padding is in my opinion not needed but it will be far less bulky and less buoyant than the padding on the HD100. I am not a fan of the useless small 1" D-rings on the side of the back plate, and I am not a real fan of 2 pairs of non adjustable shoulder D-rings. Scubapro did that with their Rec Tek line in the 1990s - when everyone else who made BP/wings started moving away from complicated harnesses and fixed D-rings. That said, some people like the comfort of a pivot ring style harness with a chest strap and the X-Tek Form does that without the pivot rings. It also has the advantage of being able to accept different wings allowing you to get a wing that will best meet you lift and tank requirements. And Scubapro's donut wings are pretty good, even by technical diving standards.

However, if you are doing strictly recreational dives and do a bit of traveling, the Scubapro Litehawk is a good choice. It is lightweight and simple in design with a decent back inflate design and is very clean in the water with minimal drag and minimal crap dangling off it. The cam pack used in it also offers very good stability compared to most other BCs. It also offers the option of weight integration without adding a great deal of bulk and it is one the best values Scubapro has for a recreational BC.[/QUOTe

thanks for the input , I take a look at the litehawk tomorrow at the store, what your opionion on the Ranger by Ziegel

---------- Post Merged at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:11 PM ----------

what your opionion on the Ranger by Ziegel

---------- Post Merged at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:11 PM ----------

what your opionion on the Ranger by Ziegel

I don't think the Ranger is substantially different than the HD100 - both are a little too bulky for my tastes.

The advantages for customers are with lower cost but very efficient BC like the Litehawk, or with a modular system like a back plate and wing that you'll never out grow and be able to adapt to different types of diving for minimal long term cost. BCs like the Ranger and HD 100 miss both of the above advantages.

On the ripcord, In my experience it is the best weight integrated system out there. I have seen way more failures of the snap in kind. After some practice re-stringing the ripcord can be done in a few minutes, which is way slower than the clip in kind, but it does seem to hold the weight more securely, and really how often do you drop your weight? :)

On the BP/W, I still say look into it. I brought up my ranger as an example similar to what you are looking at, to give you an idea of why I switched from before going to a BP/W.
I was able to shrink my harness almost a full size over the weekend, something I would never have been able to do with a traditional bc. If I was still in my ranger, I would be shopping for a smaller size right now.

Also the weight of the back plate, plus the reduction of all the neoprene covering it reduced the amount of weight I have to carry. Diving an HP steal in a 3mm suit from about 8lbs to 0.

My opinion - get neither... do more research.

If you want a 'hybrid' back-mount BCD - then, as others have suggested, look towards the Zeagle.

Otherwise, go for a proper BP/W - there's a thousand threads on those you can read...

I would recommend zeagle bcd's. I used a zeagle brigade on a ton of dives with no issues. The x-tek is not personable as you can not move any of the d rings or attachments. I believe it is too bulky for tec diving and that is why I am using halcyon bp/wing. As a rec BCD I believe you are buying the name, go with zeagle and save a few hundred bucks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom