Indonesia - East of Flores itinerary with The Seven Seas Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daidekiru

Registered
Reaction score
We did Komodo National Park with the Seven Seas two years ago and loved it. The diving, boat, food and crew were fantastic.

Our group is considering the East of Flores trip for next year (2013).

Does anyone have any current information about the itinerary, specifically how many days are spent in the southern portions and the general nature of the dive sites?
How would you compare it to Komodo or Raja Ampat?

We are looking for a variety of diving, with a strong preference to walls and bommies with action rather than critters and muck.

Any input would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance.

I've dived with the Seven Seas before, excellent boat, and the guide Tommy was awesome. I did Rajah Ampat and Misool with them.

If by East of Flores you mean Alor, Maumere, here's my trip report from way back in 2004 (not with Seven Seas though). It's a very long report, sorry. I remember the reefs were very, topography very interesting especially at the Arch and the Edge. Lots and lots of fishes, but no big fish, even at the famous Kal's Dream. Lots of freedivers spearfishing at that site. I liked it a lot, although to me Rajah Ampat and Misool are still #1, Komodo #2. Alor is maybe, #5? When it comes to night dives, though, Alor is #1. I've never had nights dives like I've had in Alor (and I usually hate night dives).

Here's another report by my club's member Pinneng, who used to live there on and off. He did A LOT of diving there.

Enjoy the trip!

Alor is critters, macro & muck.

fantastic - if you like that sort of thing.

I'll be on a trip from Maumere to Ambon in October (on an other boat though), will give my impressions if you are interested. I have been to Alor twice in the past, and in my opinion it is very good diving.

Thanks for your replies. I appreciate the information.

As neve mentioned above, The Seven Seas is a fantastic boat, with fantastic crew.
And Tommy is indeed one of the best guides I've ever dove with.

Hello daidekiru, I've been to Alor and the diving was fantastic-big fish, little fish, healthiest corals I've ever seen. However, I would not do it on a liveaboard. Extensive local knowledge is crucial, and the people who have it are those who dive there most, meaning land based. Kal's Dream is prime example-do it even slightly off peak, and it's nowhere near as good. But when conditions are right, it's one of the best dives in the world, as good as any in Indo or PNG, and I've been all over both. After much research, I went with Alor Dive, owned and operated by Thomas Schrieber, one of the best divers I've met. He dives more frequently than anybody else in the area and knows it best. The scenery in Alor is spectacular and worth the trip all by itself. Also, land based in Indo is almost always way cheaper, unless you're in Raja Empats... -Andy

Back
Top Bottom