Multiple computers on a wireless system?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johncon3

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new to diving and like a lot of people am figuring out what computer to buy.

The question I have is whether you can operate two computers off the same transmitter.

I like the convenience of a wrist mount but will likely be chasing bugs into rocks and hear that it's a good way to bash up a wrist mount.

As far as consoles go, I'm as confused as anybody but am thinking of starting there and getting a wrist mount for dives when I'm not hunting.

I know that I could interchange them, but could I have the console and wrist mount operate at the same time if I had both (understanding that I couldn't mix manufacturers)?

The Liquivision Lynx allows any number of computers to pick up the same transmitter, but I can't speak for other brands.

Eric Fattah

The question I have is whether you can operate two computers off the same transmitter.
I know that I could interchange them, but could I have the console and wrist mount operate at the same time if I had both (understanding that I couldn't mix manufacturers)?

Oceanic computers can.

The Liquivision Lynx allows any number of computers to pick up the same transmitter, but I can't speak for other brands.

Eric Fattah
I have been waiting for the release, is it available yet?

After thinking about it more, it occurs to me that I would have to put the transmitter on the HP port that the console would attach to. I may be answering my own question but I don't think there is such a thing as a wireless air integrated console computer.

You could get the sunnto Vyper air or the Vytec and the gauge console. When hunting just take the straps of fand put it in the console. You can also use the vt3 or vt4 and stick it in the old versa console. It's just a lot of assemble and disassemble.

Why would you want one transmitter for two computers? Isn't the point of having two computers redundancy in case one computer (or a part of it) malfunctions or fails? With two computers relying on one transmitter, what happens if the transmitter fails? Maybe I'm not getting something; please explain it to me if so.

Usually, I've seen my buddies' second computers be cheaper, reliable models with less features but still nitrox-capable (e.g., Suunto Zoop, etc.) - rather than the same computer or something just as pricey.

Why would you want one transmitter for two computers? Isn't the point of having two computers redundancy in case one computer (or a part of it) malfunctions or fails? With two computers relying on one transmitter, what happens if the transmitter fails? Maybe I'm not getting something; please explain it to me if so.

Usually, I've seen my buddies' second computers be cheaper, reliable models with less features but still nitrox-capable (e.g., Suunto Zoop, etc.) - rather than the same computer or something just as pricey.

You still have all the capabilities and records. This can be helpful if you are out of country on a several day trip or even a liveaboard. I have 2 of the same (Vytec) for just this possibility. I got the second one just before I did the Galapagos Aggressor trip. If the transmitter doesn't work, you're still out of luck (or you go to the pressure gauge). But if one computer fails, you just keep on diving.

Back
Top Bottom