Why would anyone want a 20+ year old dive computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BackwoodsGA

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Like this old Orca Edge? Looking for the reason I thought I needed it....To classic to pass up...:cool2:

590055813_o.jpg

ha! cool

20 yrs is 'only' 1992 lol

the tables were finalized in the 50's? 60's? earlier?

The look on the DM"s face when you pull that out while setting up your gear - priceless...:rofl3:

Reactions: Jax
I have passed up several before but I just had to have one! I used to think a dive knife on my thigh and a dive watch on my wrist would make me a cool dude. That was Jr High, when the Orca came out. Now I don't have the knife on my leg or the watch on my wrist and and way more diver than I ever imagined. How time changes things!! BTW I was using a Commodore 64 back then....

I couldn't afford one then - so instead, I bought a PADI Wheel.... and I still use it.... I did go "high tech" by adding a digital bottom and SI timer for my Tabata Tusa console. Stupid thing had permanent batteries, so it finally croaked about 10 years ago...

Yeah, some of the stuff is just plain "cool"...

They funny part is out of all of my dives I fell off the boat in the gulf two weeks ago with no bottom timer, no depth gauge. Jelly fish were bad and had to put on a full suit and grab all my gear as I was the last on off (my) boat. Left my computer on the chair where I pulled on my wet suit. Was a different dive for sure. Made me have an idea what the OLD days were like. I just played it safe, watched my air and came up slow....way to slow but SAFE!! The old divers were the MEN!!

Reactions: Jax
I remember when the Orca Edge was still vaporware.

---

We went to Bermuda and I took a double hose reg. I expected potential issues with the DM, but it turns out he was a real double hose and vintage reg fan and he ended up asking lots of questions related to rebuilding them, the PRAM, etc.

I have a Cochran Nemesis 2a that is 1995 ish. It is wireless air integrated, and does Nitorx. We came a long way in a short time. It's approaching 20 years old, but still works like the day I took it out of the box. I put new batteries in it and actually used it earlier this year. The sending unit mounts on hose, and is the size of a small brick, but has always been very reliable. I don't remember what I paid for it, but I'm sure that's information that's better off forgotten.

Thats just way cool - I have always been an Orca fan since they started in the dive computer business and had an Edge for years, never failed me once and the graphics were exceptional and easy to read......... and I somehow lost it, can you believe that, I coulda kicked myself. :D

.....and believe it or not I still use my old Orca Phoenix regularly, guzzles batteries but for me it has the nicest layout and screen face still, to this day.

Another old computer I have laying around here is this old Dacor Micro brain - I guess, also pretty close to 20 odd years old, and guess what ....it still works.:)M-21.jpgBRAN.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom