A Giant Stride can hurt you

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverHowie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Well , I never thought a "properly executed" giant stride could ever injure you.- goodness knows how many I've excuted without mishap in my 2500 dives. Now I know better. I was diving off one of our S. California dive boats (these larger types have about a 10-15 ft drop to the water). I was taught to have that small amount of leg spread to help avoid "too deep" a water entry to help stressing ears etc. This time the stress of that position must have been a little too much for my abductor muscle - which ended up partly torn by the entry. The effect.... no more diving for up to eight weeks while it heals. I'm gutted! The lesson fellow divers - avoid ANY leg spread in situations like these - your ears can take a bit more pressure that your groin muscles can!

OUCH! Must have been the Spectre. LOL I love that boat! Sorry for you pain.
Yep Robert.... you guessed it......the Spectre it was, and it's truly a great boat - Ted being just the best sort of skipper. You might possibly see me on it sometime in future..... I'll be the diver doing a giant stride without doing the "giant".

I used to see the navy divers jump from one of the decks of their training ship, about 25' above the surface....tips pointed down and legs together! Infact, I think Whites Cold Water uses a picture of that somewhere.

If competitive divers can survive the height of the towers they dive from, I would think that it is more an issue of properly secured gear and proper attention to weighting / buoyancy. The depth the drop brings you to should be survivable on the ears, especially if you pre-equalize.

<protect the groin, protect the groin, protect the groin>

Another reason to hate giant stride entries . . .

Another reason to hate giant stride entries . . .

......and the first would be?

Only times I've had 'problems' doing a giant stride is with carbon fiber long-fins which I fear would snap on impact with a normal giant stride. A standing reverse entry covers that.

Ouch! I did the same thing in Bonaire last year jumping off the dock. I was concerned that the tide was low and the water just off the dock wasn't very deep and I didn't want to hit the bottom. Very painful! It took months to heal...

Giant strides should be limited to about 5 feet. Above that a "short step" is preferable, entering the water heels first. slightly leaning back, with fin tips a bit up. When you get to helicopter and ship deck heights it is usually best to have your fins in your hand and go in feet first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom