Which DR wing to choose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YooHoo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys,

I'm about to go from jacket BCD to BP&W setup. I'm very interested in the Dive Rite Single Tank BPW Package with SS plate, and I'm wondering witch wings to choose

• Travel EXP - 27 lbs
  • or Voyager EXP - 40 lbs

For all my dives I use semi-dry 6,5 mm suit and for

warm waters, between 20 m (65 feet) and 50 m (165 feet) of depth

• 15 L (95 ft3) heavy steel, 4 kg (9 lbs) of lead
  • 12 L (80 ft3) ALU, 6 kg (13 lbs) of lead
cold waters, max depth 20 m (65 feet)

• 15 L (95 ft3) heavy steel, 7 kg (15 lbs)
  • extra thermal protection with 3 mm vest

By my calculations I think that DiveRite Travel EXP would have sufficient lift for my needs. And if somewhere down the line I start seriously with tech dives, this could be great travel wing.

Or do you guys think that I should go with Voyager EXP?

What do you suggest. I have found Dive Rite package for 377 usd. And Dive Rite was also recommended to me for good quality/value.

I have used the travel exp for "lite" weight use with a 5mm wetsuit, al. 80 tank, and like it very much, however, you might consider using the rec exp. The rec exp can be used with both a sinlge tank and doubles, which gives you a nice option to grow into doubles, if you are thinking about going that route. Also, consider the extra weight of additional gear, such as, lights, reels, surface markers, etc. We are cold water divers here, and I always dive with double of everything. I have both wings and do like dive rite equipment. Good luck.

Thank you for your suggestion, but the main reason for me to get BP/W is the most possible streamlined configuration for my recreational dives as I can get. I don't think that I will achieve this by using 50 lbs wing for doubles.

If I decide, somewhere in the future to start tech diving, I most certainly will buy a wing for doubles and use this one for my recreational dives, where I don't have much accessories apart from my backup light and SMB.

Calculation that I did for finding my recreational setup displacement is:

- 9 lbs of ditchable weight to start the dive with my suit and accessories
- 9 lbs of negative buoyancy of my full 95 steel tank

When I'll get to 130 feet, I'll loose buoyancy of the suit. That means that I only need wing which will provide 18 lbs of lift.

And for my winter dives:

- 13 lbs of ditchable weight to start the dive with my suit and accessories
- 9 lbs of negative buoyancy of my full 95 steel tank

When I'll get to 65 feet, I'll loose 2/3 of buoyancy of the suit. That means that I only need wing which will provide 17,6 lbs of lift.

Is this correct or am I missing something?

He only other thing you might want to consider is your possible need to help someone else up. With the smaller wing you will not have very much reserve bouyancy.

When I had my rescue course, we simulated several situations involving buddy in distress. And I was given opportunity to try different approaches on lifting or assisting diver with ascent. It came out that the best approach for me was to lift someone up by using his BCD. And all my rescue training was/is done in this way.

The travel wing will float you with the steel tanks no problem but not very high out of the water. I like the small wing - the voyager is still quite streamlined and a good wing - will give you a bit of extra lift at the surface to ride higher out of the water. It comes down to a matter of personal preference both will work one a bit more streamlined and a small bit easier to pack for travel and one a bit extra lift.

What about the weight of the plate, regs, lights, etc?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom