Lion fish tip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IMO, it really depends on the size of the lionfish you are likely to encounter... For most of the ones I find here in SFLA a single non-barb spear would be fine, but for the occasional larger fish a 3 prong non-barb paralyzer tip is just fine. Now If I'm hunting lionfish in say the Bahamas. (Not that I'm admitting to doing this :)) I would want a barbed spear for sure as the fish I encounter there would put up a nice fight on rod and reel not to mention the longer you struggle with the fish the more likely the thief with the gray suit shows up.

One last thing would be the purpose of your kill. If you just plan on feeding it to the fish (Eel love lionfish) then it doesn't matter what you use. But if you want to keep the fish and have nice filets then a non-barb spear tip keeps the flesh more intact. Unless you shoot for the head which you should and then it doesn't matter what you use.

In either case, that 6 prong spear seems excessive, I would go with the 3 prong tip!

Make sure you carry some shears and cut those spines too.

Absolut, I wouldn't even consider the six-prong with barbs......... Definitely overkill. While I do keep the lionfish on the spear until I have the fins clipped off, I have no trouble doing this with the unbarbed paralyzer. Good luck with your spearing!

We offer a complete lionfish killer pole spear with band and non barbed tip for a very competitive price.

Mako Lion Fish Killer Pole Spear

MLFK-2.jpg

Mako,
Thanks, thought I already bought the spear at my LDS but they were OOS on the tips. Also they only carried shorter tips. I ended up buying a 6" three prong with barbs. amount the ability to told onto some larger ones if I get a chanceas, my wife is going to buy a small lionfish shooter for the small ones.

We have little desire to keep them to cook

Sent from my IPad using Tapatalk

The paralizer tip is all you need, barbed or non barbed, thou I prefer the barbed type to secure the prey better...........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom