Compass on Slate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eweingarden

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm looking to get a compass. I don't think the hose mount will work well do to the limited ability to pull my SPG hose forward. So it's a toss up between a wrist mount and one clipped on to my BCD with a retractor. I also see that there are a few retractor models that are mounted on a writing slate. Seems like a good idea, but in looking at the pictures of them, it seems that it would be difficult to look into the side window. Any feedback on the pros and cons of either a wrist mount, retractor mount, or retractor with slate would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ed

My only opinion is simply to make sure that you can see and use the compass.

I am very near sighted.

I have prescription blanks in my mask, but they are not progressives. As a result, I cannot use a wrist-mounted compass - I simply cannot hold it out far enough in the proper orientation to be able to use it. My compass on the gauge console works good for me as I can hold properly and read it. A compass on a retractor will also work for me as long as the cable is long enough.

One size does not fit all. You must take any physical limitations into account, and filter equipment recommendations from others accordingly.

I went to a wrist mount 6 years ago and never looked back. I like the ones in a bungee mount. IMO more secure than a strap and easy to move between suits.

Just an FYI they are also what I keep on hand for students to use as well. Bungees don't break as often as straps do. Most of my students that try it in the AOW or UW Nav class end up buying the ones they use.

Wrist mounted on every dive. When I'm surveying I have one mounted on the slate which is more accurate...but still have my wrist unit on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom