Choosing Travel BC for an Inexperience Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

andy2667

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am an inexperienced recreation diver in Hong Kong with approx. 30 dives. I will normally dive in asia tropical area via traveling. I use 5KG weight belt for normal jacket BCD. No intention to go technical diving. I want to buy a travel BCD. Light weight is a bonus but not essential. I have more or less limited my choices as follows:
1. Buying an Oceanic Islander back inflated BCD locally. Inexpensive and one unit cover all my needs. Alternatively, I may get a Scubapro Knighthawk at a bit higher price.
2. Buying a Diverite single tank package with basic set up online. Not sure to get SS or aluminum back plate.
3. Buying a Halcyon infinity locally. Expensive but seems to be a nice total package. Jot sure to get a SS or aluminum back plate

Note:
1. Halcyon Traveler system is on my top list. However, it is not available locally. I cannot justify to buy it online.
2. The Zeagle Express Tech is not on my list as the shipping cost is high.

I appreciate your advices or experience sharing to help me to finalise my buying decision.

Thanks.

You haven't really narrowed the field much so it's hard to tell what is important to you. For me, a travel BCD should be both light and compact.

For the BP/W options, if you are tropical diving you don't need/want the weight of SS. You might also look at the Oxycheq travel system -- very compact and light. This would be my choice.

For the traditional BCD, you might add Cressi to the list, they have a jacket (if you prefer) or a back inflate. Among all possibilities, the Zeagle would be my choice, but that's off your list. Most important thing here is finding one that fits right, so I'd go with something you can try locally.

Good luck.

A Knighthawk isn't specifically a travel bc. The Lighthawk (same basic design) is. SCUBAPRO - LITEHAWK

If you have a local Aqualung dealer this might be another option: Zuma

I dive in tropics & cold water--last dive was this past Saturday in Lake Tahoe, Nevada in a drysuit--dive prior to that was off Yap, Micronesia in my shorts and a rash guard.

I had (and still have) the Knighthawk--it is bulky and I wouldn't consider it a travel BC. I got annoyed with packing the huge Knighthawk and also diving with all of the bulk it had around my chest--with very little benefit from pockets for the relative size of the bulk.

Last year I switched to the Halcyon SS BP. I bought a 40lb Halycon wing to use in the colder water diving with my steel tanks & drysuit. I also bought an Oxycheq 18lb wing for travel. Note I use the Halcyon STA for both--although I don't know if that one is the most stable--I have seen other brand STAs seemed more efficient.

For diving in the tropics the BP+18lb wing is truly wonderful. No need to any weight--I don't wear any lead at all even with my 3mm suit. (I have even thought about getting an AL BP so my luggage is lighter). The BP, webbing & wing pack so small that they are barely noticeable in luggage. The SS BP is a touch heavy--however an AL BP weighs next to nothing--and they make plastic ones that are really light if you value that.

My wife, who bought the Ladyhawk, is jealous of my setup.

For warm water travel diving I use aluminum plate, cam bands and STA (all AGIR), all very light to this I add an 18lb Oxycheq wing, packs small. I like this set up.

Andy,

Check out the AquaLung Zuma BC. It is the lightest truly travel BC. The complete Zuma Package BC, Reg, Fins, Mask/Snorkle and extras all fit in a rolling bag that meets airline cary on standards. The Zuma BC is a back inflate, and will perform like the items cited above with much less weight and bulk. Our charter has many traveling divers aboard, and everyone diving the Zuma raves about it. I have used our store demo myself, and it really is a great and very unique item. Sounds like it would meet your needs.

For warm water travel diving I use aluminum plate, cam bands and STA (all AGIR), all very light to this I add an 18lb Oxycheq wing, packs small. I like this set up.

A drawback with using the Oxycheq wing for travel is that the material is too stiff (unlike Halcyon) to roll so it must be packed flat. The difference between a SS and AL plate is about 3 pounds (1.4 kg).

Zeagle Express Tech or my HOG 23 lb wing with al plate is what I use. I do like the new Edge T2 as well. I have not had the chance to try one as yet. The Express Tech and BPW though are more my style. Minimalist, customized to me with D rings where I want them and no pull dump inflator. My ET wing was ordered with the plain elbow to dupilcate my BPW set ups.

I see you are in Hongkong, you may want to check out ProDive in Wanchi. I have seen Halcyon Eclipse in their store, so I think they can order Infiniti for you. At least in US, Halcyon doesn't allow dealers to offer discount on H item. So you can buy anywhere, price will be the same. Not sure if that applies to HK tho.

Now, does cost matter to you? because your price range seems pretty big. Oceanic Islander is $300, H inifinity is $860. Even a well used Infiniti will cost more than $300. If cost doesn't matter, then obvious Infiniti is the best amounst your choices. Go with AL plate since you will probably do destination diving a lot.

Taking cost into account, things is harder. A compatible DR package is much less. You will probably not notice the differences in water, but of course the fit and finish will not be as nice. Either way, go with AL plate.

Hi all,
1. Buying an Oceanic Islander back inflated BCD locally. Inexpensive and one unit cover all my needs. Alternatively, I may get a Scubapro Knighthawk at a bit higher price.
2. Buying a Diverite single tank package with basic set up online. Not sure to get SS or aluminum back plate.
3. Buying a Halcyon infinity locally. Expensive but seems to be a nice total package. Jot sure to get a SS or aluminum back plate

Note:
1. Halcyon Traveler system is on my top list. However, it is not available locally. I cannot justify to buy it online.
2. The Zeagle Express Tech is not on my list as the shipping cost is high.

I appreciate your advices or experience sharing to help me to finalise my buying decision.

Thanks.

I travel and have a sea quest balance, not really a travel BC but a good bc for a reasonable price. Seems to travel fine, I mostly fly US trans continential.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom