Hooking BCD to a scooter, which part?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Texasguy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have read a suggestion about hooking a BCD to a scooter so hands would not tire during prolonged trips.

My question is this, if you will take in to an account a regular non-tech BCD, how and what part a BCD should be attached to a scooter?

I attach mine to a ring on my crotch strap. I suppose you could rig up a crotch strap

you need a crotch strap with a D-Ring to do this, otherwise the scooter will keep trying to pull your BC off.

This is pretty much standard equipment on a BP/W, however it is not my intent to hijack your thread into a BP/W discussion. Without knowing the specifics of your BC, I'm sure you could fashion a crotch strap onto it, but it may be difficult to ensure that it will be secure enough for the stress of attaching to a scooter.

Having the D-Ring on the crotch strap also makes for a better attachment point since it is near your center of gravity.

I will echo what others have said though, get some more experience, take a class or find a mentor well versed in scooters before trying one out. There are things to be cognizant of while using a scooter such as fast changes in depth if you aren't careful.

---------- Post Merged at 03:04 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:02 PM ----------

No fear, I will finish at least 20 dives in a dry and empty pool before I will consider adding water. Staying safe.

not sure I understand what you mean by "dry and empty pool". Are you diving on a skateboard?

I am researching PADI DPV Adventure Diver Course. My research showed that there was no per-requisite number of dives before taking the course (other than OW).

And, yes, I am flippant toward people who would not share information just to keep number of people "in-the-know" to a minimum, thus preserving their elite status. And those who don't have a sense of humor, well, it's just sad...

It's not about keeping people out of the know. It is about keeping people out of the coffin.

Scootering can be very dangerous even if you have good skills. Humor I great, but sometimes you just have to take sound advice.

With that being said, get something with a crotch strap.

I am researching PADI DPV Adventure Diver Course. My research showed that there was no per-requisite number of dives before taking the course (other than OW).

And, yes, I am flippant toward people who would not share information just to keep number of people "in-the-know" to a minimum, thus preserving their elite status. And those who don't have a sense of humor, well, it's just sad...

You'll find over time that PADI's minimum standards and prerequisites are horrifyingly out of line with what is actually required in order to be safe and effective. I won't beat that horse as there are probably a thousand threads on this site dedicated to that discussion.

That said, no one is witholding information. You've been answered, the correct way to attach a DPV to a BC is through the front D-ring on a crotch strap. You've also been told that you should focus on learning to dive before you go out and worry about a DPV. Scooters can be a lot of fun, the faster they are the more fun they can be. The faster they are, the more trouble you can get yourself into without even thinking about it.

As a "for instance". A DPV can carry you a long way from your starting point. If you were to motor accidentally 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile or more away from the boat you started from and the battery on your DPV were to die, the prop were to foul or you were to have a flood in your machine - would you have enough air/gas left in your tank to make that swim back to the boat? What if there were a stiff current that you had to swim against to get there? If you were that far away, how would you signal for assistance and be seen or heard?

Worry about diving for now. DPV can always be added once you've got an understanding of the ways it can get you killed. Like everything else in diving, there's a trade off that comes with having more fun.

it is also nice to have another bolt snap on hand so you can rig it like a stage when you're not using it and need to keep it on your person.

look, there's no way to not be biased in giving info that can seriously hurt folks. did you read about the girl who was saved from a cave this week? she, her brother, and her instructor father were told just before they went in not to go in. again, *she nearly died*. please try to refrain from calling people who give a slight damn 'bigots' when we try to keep you from killing yourself. is it less likely to do with a scooter than a cave? absolutely. but it is still possible. so ask questions, sure, but don't act like a jerk.

Not a DPV owner, but I heard lots of stories in my dive group about DPV. Indeed, it makes easier to get in trouble. So taking the class is fun, but very careful when you are actually doing it. The planning become more important.

However, I think most of the people here thinking DPV is the X-scooter type. If you take a look at PADI class, they don't use this. Most I have seen, they have the sea-doo kind of scooter. I don't think it is designed to connect the the tow ring on crotch strap. I think you just hold onto it with both hands

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom