GASP!!!- Who would've thought?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barracuda2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I just discovered a small hole in my wrist zip-seal above the o-rings on my DUI. I kept getting a wet arm and blamed a leaking exhaust valve. I'm getting my wrist seals replaced next week before I head for Mackinaw. If you have a DUI with zip-seals, sit down for this news: A pair of wrist zip-seals cost $118.00 big ones. Are you kidding me?? I was also going to get the neck seal just to keep everything equal. NO WAY!! The neck zip-seal alone cost $132.00. Before I made this discovery, I was figuring maybe $50-60 for the wrist seals. "The difference between men and boys is the price of their toys." Take care of your DUI zip-seals, boys!!---er, men!!

Personally, I did this investigation before buying a DUI. Given that it makes it drop-dead-simple to change seals even on a boat, in literally seconds, I'm fine with the cost. Didn't you do your homework? :wink:

And it's not the seal you're paying for, it's the absolutely unique zip-lock-like attachment rings. They're patented, they're unique, and they're not cheap.

I don't particularly love the cost, but I knew it going in. There are threads of folks keeping old zip rings, removing torn seals and reattaching new seals. If you like DIY stuff, that may be a way to go now that you have a spare zip ring set.

+1^. I checked out the cost long before I ordered zip seals on my new suit. An oil change and tire rotation in my diesel truck costs $161 in Key West, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't do it. Lets keep it in perspective. Changing oil on 3 main engines and 2 generators is well over $1000 on the boat, and that's doing it myself.

Yeah, its definitely a pay for convenience kind of thing. I have thought about zip seal and similar systems, but in the end, keeping a set of seals in my dive kit and gluing them on is not a big problem. Worse case I bag a dive or two. If it happens in the morning of a dive trip, I can glue new ones on over lunch and dive in the afternoon. If it happens in the afternoon, I glue them on at night and am back up and running by the next morning.

As Jim said, I have seen people scavenge the old zip seals and glue on "conventional" seals to the zip seal part and dive them successfully. To each their own I guess. :D

Glad you found it before it got worse and are able to get things sorted out before the Mack trip! Enjoy the trip and dive safe!

You can get the funny smurf blue glove as well with zip seals and switch between gloves and seals based on dive and temp. There goes another couple c notes....:crying2:

You can get the funny smurf blue glove as well with zip seals and switch between gloves and seals based on dive and temp. There goes another couple c notes....:crying2:

That's what I do. Love it. Convenience has a price, but you get what you pay for.

Bought my DUI used. After I figured it fit ok the guy said it was for everything in the bag. Wrist and neck seals were on the suit. Rock boots, hood, two pair of gloves extra set of wrist and neck seals DUI thermo booties and a few other nick nacks

Thats when I got greedy and asked where the thermos we're.... (none)

Didnt matter, I couldn't say no to all those goodies.....

---------- Post Merged at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:11 PM ----------

First time I put the gloves on we were about 3 miles from the first site when I found out I zipped them on palm out:idk:
That's when I found out the full advantage of zip seals :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom