Do I need a Single Tank Adapter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zaixon

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Picking up a dive rite bp/w this week and I was wondering if the single tank adapter is necessary? Could I just mount the tank directly to the back plate? I'm looking at getting the venture wing for singles and I usually dive either al80s or steel 100s.

I have the DR SS plate with DR EXP wing and do not use a STA.
Once the cambands are closed the tank I use locally is a steel HP100 and for travel an AL80 and they have been quite stable.

Picking up a dive rite bp/w this week and I was wondering if the single tank adapter is necessary?QUOTE]

No, but you may find it helpful.

Last edited:
I have 2 DR venture wings and a few plates. I made a STA out of a piece of 8" diameter PVC pipe and then bolted it all together so that the wing is trapped securely between the plate and the STA. This holds everything together in one compact unit that does not shift around and makes it much easier to switch tanks on a small boat in rough conditions.

STA=less lead.

One lightweight and inexpensive option to a commercial STA is to just sew two lengths of 3/4" PVC pipe into a nylon sleeve that keeps the PVC tubes a few inches apart and provides slots for the cam bands. The PVC tubes then fill the space between the tank and plate on each side of the tank and provide added stability.

thanks for the tips all! gonna order the stuff tomorrow and give it a try

One lightweight and inexpensive option to a commercial STA is to just sew two lengths of 3/4" PVC pipe into a nylon sleeve that keeps the PVC tubes a few inches apart and provides slots for the cam bands. The PVC tubes then fill the space between the tank and plate on each side of the tank and provide added stability.

That is a cool idea... I would think 2-3 pieces of nylon belt hand sewn with holes for some bolts would be very light and cheap and take 1-2 TV shows (of hand sewing time) to accomplish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom