Fear of S/S BP being too heavy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

umihoshijima

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi! First post here now, I swear I had another username but I can't find it now. anyway…

I'm NAUI advanced/TA/rescue diver-certified. It's all through my university, and I've been doing it all with the school rental equipment. I've been slowly accruing my new gear, and am planning on getting my own BP/W system at the insistence of my dive buddies.

Like most other young divers, I'm on a budget, and want a stripped-down reliable BC. it seems as though the wings are the most variable part of a rig, and also the part I'm most confused about. I'm planning of a Dive Rite setup, but don't know what size wing to get and the spreadsheet isn't working for me. Also, is the Dive Rite wing a worthy purchase, and how is it compared to the HOG? Also, as a dive TA at my school, should I try to get something with a bit extra lift, just in case?

I'm 135 pounds, and in a 7mm farmer john I wear 26# of weight when I'm diving in Monterey, CA. I'm excited to get a s/s plate to get some weight off of my belt, but at the same time I'm afraid that if I ever dive in the tropics I'll be rather negatively buoyant. Will I sink like a brick with that backplate with the single tank retainer, or should I be fine?

I use a stainless steel backplate for my tropical diving. I love it and figure that the weighting/trim advantage is worth the extra few pounds in my luggage.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Dude.. with an AL80 and my floaty butt I use 18lbs in my drysuit with a steel BP. You seem to need a lot of weight; I think the steel plate for you is a given.

With a HP100 and a steel plate in my neutrally buoyant 4th element suit I'm a little heavy in salt water but its awesome with great trim. After you get your plate & wing dialed in you'll not look back.

No, it wont be too heavy, however, with an aluminum you can always add weight via a weighted single tank adapter or trim weight pockets if needed. This will help if you travel. Plus, if you go with big double steels at some point, you may want to reduce weight and the backplate is the best place to start.

Ditch the 7mmm in monteray too. 26lb would put me off straight away. Id rather be in a dry suit or a 5mm with some proper thermocline garments or similar underneath.

Im not a huge fan of DiveRite wings, but for a single tank, any donut of around 30lbs of lift should do the trick. I bet they will all have the same power inflater and OPV anyway :) I like the quality of the Halcyon eclipse best, or DeepSee Supply or Oxycheq.

Hi! First post here now, I swear I had another username but I can't find it now. anyway…

I'm NAUI advanced/TA/rescue diver-certified. It's all through my university, and I've been doing it all with the school rental equipment. I've been slowly accruing my new gear, and am planning on getting my own BP/W system at the insistence of my dive buddies.

Like most other young divers, I'm on a budget, and want a stripped-down reliable BC. it seems as though the wings are the most variable part of a rig, and also the part I'm most confused about. I'm planning of a Dive Rite setup, but don't know what size wing to get and the spreadsheet isn't working for me. Also, is the Dive Rite wing a worthy purchase, and how is it compared to the HOG? Also, as a dive TA at my school, should I try to get something with a bit extra lift, just in case?

I'm 135 pounds, and in a 7mm farmer john I wear 26# of weight when I'm diving in Monterey, CA. I'm excited to get a s/s plate to get some weight off of my belt, but at the same time I'm afraid that if I ever dive in the tropics I'll be rather negatively buoyant. Will I sink like a brick with that backplate with the single tank retainer, or should I be fine?

For another opinion on wings, I like the DR wings and have 3 of them. I like the new exp material as I can only compare it to stingray leather as its pretty rough and similar in texture, but I'm sure a tough Cordura like the Golem and others use is as tough. What draws me to DR is the corrugated hose; I like the hose that Golem and DR use.. its just my preference.

I think DR, H, & Golem all source form the same on hoses. I just don't care for the roundy hoses I see on most..maybe its a Freudian thing.. dunno

The man is using a snorkle in his profile pic. :idk:

Hehe. Oh well, its nothing wrong though, at least to my knowledge, maybe not DIR compliant :p

I like the
ne_nau.gif
kinda like our dive team logo hehe. sup son ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ IMG_1187.jpg My apologies for off topic here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom