Things to look for when buying a used BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ppatin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was wondering if anyone had any advice for how I can avoid getting burned when buying a used BCD online. The guy selling it seems like a pretty reputable poster on another forum, but he isn't local so I'd have to buy it without seeing it in person. Is that even a good idea or should I avoid any gear that I can't see myself? From what I understand Zeagle's lifetime warranty only applies to the original owner so that won't do me any good.

You take your life in your hands buying used life support equipment, but if you have the product thoroughly checked at your dive shop, you should be ok.
Things to be aware of:
Dump Valves can malfunction: stick open or stick closed. So open them up and make sure they are clear of rust, salt, wear and tear.
Hopefully the previous owner has looked after the valves (and bladder).
Pete Bucknell

About

"life in your hands" might be a bit exaggerated - My dive gear was only dived new once - it was "used" gear for every dive after that.

Here's some thoughts from the last time it was asked: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...ems/419291-what-look-when-buying-used-bc.html

Beyond that, try and establish the seller's reputation, "pretty reputable" on another forum is a good start. In addition, do they have an ebay ID? - do they have good feedback?

For the item itself, ask questions, If it's inflated and sits overnight, is it still full in the morning?, do the dump valves work?, do the springs (in the valves) look good?, does the inside of the bladder look good when a dump valve is removed? is there any salt build-up in the bladder?. Does the inflator work? these are all questions I'd ask

The more pictures the better. - several detailed pix is a sign to me that the seller isn't trying to hide anything

Ask about a return policy if the item isn't as advertised. As on occasional seller I will only take an item back if it's not in the condition I described

Thanks for the advice. I got a pretty good picture of the front of the BCD but nothing of the back, so I've asked for photos of that as well. Right now I'm a little on the fence, it's a used Zeagle Brigade for $270 (including shipping) but it's six years old & doesn't come with the rear weight pouches.

Personally that doesn't strike me as that great a deal - especially if it's missing an original component (assuming the rear pouches came with it new). Looking in the classifieds here you will see very few of those listed actually sold (assuming didn;t sell based on lack of response) and the one that did, did so was reduced to 200 before it sold.

Zeagle's warranty is an industry benchmark. Any piece of scuba gear may wear out with use.Zeagle gear can be repaired even if the service is not covered under the manufacturers warranty to the origional purchaser.
If you had to replace the bladder on the used BC, you could have bought new for the same money and had a warranty to rely on going forward.
The Brigade at $270 is similar to the Stiletto, but without the BX inflator and the trim weight pouches.
A Stiletto, new with a lifetime warranty and nothing extra needed to add on, sells for about $500.
You pay your money and take your chances when you buy a six year old anything.

You are at someone else's mercy when buying used online. Until you get your hands on it, you don't know if it's as great as described. What I would look for would be about 50% of current NEW value. It should have all the features you want from a BC.

Once you get it in your hands, you need to make sure the stitching is solid, it has all it's components with it. Mount it on a tank and make sure it will hold the weight and that the power inflator and OPVs work. Make sure the manual inflator works. Inflate it all the way and let it sit over night. If it has lost a noticeable amount of air it has holes and is bad. If it stays inflated, then you have a good BC. This is a good time to shake it aaround and listen for salt crytals bouncing around inside the bladder. I have seen BIG salt crystals inside of some. These are dangerous and can cut the bladder.

Lastly, remove all the dumps, wash everything, rinse the inside well then hang it to dry. After drying re-install the OPVs.

This is my list for buying used BCs.

This is my list for buying used BCs.

Actually it is pretty good advice for putting up a BC for storage also.

---------- Post Merged at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:28 PM ----------

Also I would look at the background of the person selling the item. Is s/he a diver or someone that just came across the equipment? Is the person active on the forum or is s/he someone that pops up to sell gear? Has the person tested it before trying to sell it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom