Sidemount on a Liveaboard... Musings on my trip on the Rocio del Mar

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have been sidemounting in caves for at least five years now, mostly with big, heavy steel tanks. But since my move here to Key Largo, I have not used my sidemount rig that much since I am going off of a boat. I just didn't trust the sling style I was using to support the valve end of the tank to hold if I splashed off the back. You can read a bit about my modifications to resolve this in the thread Choker Clip Solutions. Well, I tried them here at home first, but walking in off the shore at Canon Beach. I really liked them, but I never got the chance to go off of a boat... until Elena's birthday trip on the Rocio del Mar in the Sea of Cortez.

Packing... This was easy. I put all the stuff I thought I would need, including extra zip ties, and while I had bought BIGGER hose clamps, just in case, I still managed to leave them at home by mistake. Still, my Zeagle Frankenrig, two Hog regs (their newest, with the left hand feed second stage), two tank harnesses, fins, boots, lights, camera and wetsuit all fit into my little bag and weighted well under 50 pounds. Coolness. Oh yeah, I even put in two yoke adapters just in case they didn't have DIN.

Setting up... If you have ever done a liveaboard, you know that one of the first things you do is to stake out a bit of turf. I had relayed a message to our host, Dora, that I would be sidemounting and she had absolutely no idea what this would entail. She was used to having divers show up and putting two of her Al80s into a manifold and bands. I can tell she's not wild about the idea of having people messing with her tanks, and I assured her that all I needed was for the inserts to be taken out. The look of confusion on her face was funny, but this was my second time on her boat and she trusted me. They gave me stations 1 and 2. Cool, I get to spread out a bit. :D I hung up my wet suit and then dug out the two harnesses (must remember to pack them last next time). That's when I realized that I forgot the bigger hose clamps. Crikey, these tank necks are BIG. I might have need the next bigger size! At least I put in the zip ties and with that, I put the harnesses on both tanks. Unfortunately, the zips would not hold on to the tanks' sloping necks, so I cinched them onto the base of the valve. It didn't affect how I assembled my regs on them, but I wasn't sure how the choker clips would work in practice. With everything set up and the crew trying to make heads and tails out of what I was doing, I retired to my cabin to get it squared away. Later that evening we given the big briefing and told how we would be diving out of the Zodiacs.

The first dive... Our first dive was off of a pinnacle called the Little Angel. I remembered it well from my last trip and listened intently to the briefing. Diving sidemount off of a zodiac would be a first for me, and I was mentally figuring out how to best do it. Mind you, I had slipped on my BC during the brief (no tanks) and was quite comfortable as Mayo (My-yo) told us what we would be seeing. The water was warm, so I wasn't going to use a wetsuit and I was excited! Team A had already splashed, and Mayo told us to get into the zodiac. I grabbed my fins and put them on the bench. I bent down to my left side tank and clipped into the choker. I reached back and clipped into the butt plate as well. Nice! Before I go on, I should mention that if you position the weight just right on the butterfly clips, they will lose the choker. This happened to me twice during the week including right here, but it's quite easy to avoid when you look for it. The process worked just as easily for the right side and I grabbed my fins and sauntered to the zodiac where I found it easy and balanced to step over the side. Once seated, I clipped my inflator, pulled my left side hose out a bit and but my double reg bungee around my neck. I then pulled out a bit of hose from the right side and put that second stage into the other side of my double reg bungee. I took a breath from each and watched the SPGs. Both the tanks were supported by the boat and I felt no stress as I waited for the others to get in. And waited. And waited. Geez, one of the biggest complaints about sidemounting is that it's supposed to take a lot longer. Not only was I the first one in the zodiac, but I had to wait a while before the others started to climb in. At the site, we back rolled into the water and I did it like a somersault, coming out of it pretty flat and in control. I took a breath on each reg and inspected everything for leaks. I noticed a very fine spray of bubbles from the right side tank neck. Nothing to worry about, but I'll tell the crew when I surface. I had put five pounds of weight on each tank and this was AWESOME. As I was waiting for the boat, I reached behind me and unclipped each of the bottom straps. This makes me able to easily float on my back on the surface. I also took the right side out of the bungee necklace and stowed the hose away. When the zodiac came, I unclipped the right side first and handed it to the captain. Before he had that tank stowed, I had the other side's hose stowed and unclipped it as well. I climbed the ladder and took my seat... still in my BC. I watched as the others came up to the zodiac, first handing their weights up and then their BC. It seemed that everything on their BC wanted to snag whatever it could on the hand hold rope that was on the side of that zodiac. Still, the first dive went extremely well. Would the others?

Overall... I'm not sure what I was worried about when it comes to diving off of a boat with sidemount while using a choker system. I was glad I brought a hat, as I was the first one on the zodiac almost every time and usually had a good long wait while the others got their act together. That Sea of Cortez sun is HOT!!! I took the time to recheck my gear and that was really nice. At the end of the week I asked my captain and Dora for their impressions about clients using sidemount and they were more than enthusiastic. By the end of the week, they were using the strap on the tank harness to lift the tanks into the zodiac and then from the zodiac to my station. I asked which was easier: backmounted or sidemounted doubles. There was no doubt with Jorge, that he preferred sidemount on the zodiac. He then said that two side mount tanks are even easier than even a single backmounted tank. I could see right away that he was right. Mind you, it would have been easy enough to change over to a single back mounted tank at any point during the week. Why would I want to do that? I got to go in a few holes where the others could not (mostly just for the fun of it). I even came up with tons of air after every dive and I always got my full hour in. I had redundancy, so I didn't mind leaving the group to check out something deep or them leaving me if they ran low on gas. It was simply fun. Mind you, I have seen a lot of people trying to force a diving system to work and frankly, I was suspicious about that mindset when it comes to sidemount. This wasn't a forced but rather a perfect fit. You can bet I'll be doing this more in the Keys. I think I want two sets of Al60s. :D

Great write up, thanks NetDoc!

Just one question regarding tank setup. Did you find it to be a pain to put the stage kits and hose clamps on the tanks. You were on a liveaboard, so I assume you only needed to do it once, and your tanks were then topped up post dive. Would you use the same setup in coz where you had to rig up the tanks every am?

Great write up, thanks NetDoc!

Just one question regarding tank setup. Did you find it to be a pain to put the stage kits and hose clamps on the tanks. You were on a liveaboard, so I assume you only needed to do it once, and your tanks were then topped up post dive. Would you use the same setup in coz where you had to rig up the tanks every am?
My design uses a single worm drive hose clamp OR a zip tie on each tank. In a setting like Coz, I would have probably used two 25 cent zip ties each dive to speed things up. But really, unless I need more gas, was doing a tech dive where I needed redundant gases or just playing around with the set up, I would probably revert to a back mounted single tank for a group dive like Coz. I don't see the need to force the configuration to meet the needs of the site and in fact the converse is what I go with. My side mounting in the Sea of Cortez was driven by my desire to see how it would work and that set-up was done only once. Actually, I was worried about how things would go, so I was hoping that I would be fairly anonymous in case I had any "America's Funniest Video" moments. In reality, I knew most of the people on the boat, or at least they knew me. The two accidental unclippings were funny, but everyone else was preoccupied with getting their gear ready.

One thing I failed to mention. I put the 10 pounds of weight on my belt for one dive to see how the shift in weight would affect my buoyancy. It didn't seem to affect one whit. I felt like a dork always asking my buddy how my trim was and they all said fine. While my trim always felt great to me, in retrospect, there were only four others on that boat who had excellent trim. I don't think the others had much of a clue as to what I was asking for. :D Elena took a few pictures and hopefully she'll get them up soon.

Last edited:
Thanks for this. I hope that more people doing trips like this will mean we don't get the confused looks too much longer.

I was on a weeks trip in recently where a really wish I'd stuck to my guns and dived sidemount, but I didn't because I didn't want the hassle of educating people about it and being different from the group. It would have been the perfect tool for some of the dives though.

Credit to you for giving it a go.

Did they give everyone 2 gear stations? That would make for either no one having enough room, or you being kind of a space hog.

Did they give everyone 2 gear stations? That would make for either no one having enough room, or you being kind of a space hog.

I agree with this idea. This is simply a factor in sidemount that cannot be easily remedied especially off boats that have only allow setup tanks to be racked, and put the spares underneath.

They did give me two slots, but I didn't need them. In fact, the second spot was often used as a staging area for the rest of the divers.

Here's what I've been doing in the situation mentioned by Beano where space is a premium. I put the regs on and route hoses. Left tank goes under the bench, right tank on top bungee in place. At the dive site, I put on fins, then reach under the bench for the left tank. Put the tank on the bench, I face it. Clip it in top and bottom (Edd Sorenson "old school" gold line tying bolt snap to top of tank, so solid connection there), plug in inflator hose, arrange left reg on bungee around my neck. Turn to right and ease the left tank off the bench. Turn to face the right tank, unbungee it from it's place on the rail and clip it in top and bottom, arrange reg around my neck, plug in drysuit inflator. Turn to left and ease the right tank off the bench. I am not taking up any more space than divers on either side of me. Waddle to the dive platform shouting "make way, sidemounter coming through*" and flop in.

Put bungees over the tank valves in the water.

If it's rough I have been hanging on to railings, etc, just like I did in backmount doubles.

*Attempt at SM humour for the humour impaired.

Hey Pete,

You looked way cool diving with your sidemounts, it makes for an interesting photo of a diver.

Also, having the redundancy is key.

Do you think it was as easy to shoot pic/video or is it better to have the tanks on your back for photography?

Hey Pete,

You looked way cool diving with your sidemounts, it makes for an interesting photo of a diver.

Also, having the redundancy is key.

Do you think it was as easy to shoot pic/video or is it better to have the tanks on your back for photography?
Skill and situational awareness make more impact than whether I dove back or side mount. A number of our photographers on that trip were content to lay/touch the bottom and I was not. I like the freedom side mounting gives me to adjust my attitude with a simple movement of the tanks. Adjust them forward and my feet float, slide them back and my head floats.

Back
Top Bottom