How much tips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

d3vin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Just wondering, how much do you usually give tips to the dive center in Indonesia? I know it's a relative, but I'd just like to know what's the average of you guys give them...

Hello!

The Million Dollar Question!!

I work in Indonesia and any tips are greatly appreciated. I would say that you should tip on how you feel the service was

Good/Great Service = Better Tip
Bad Service should = not such a good tip or if any!!

I am not going to give a % or an amount as I think it will open this thread up to attack

There was a thread a while back that seemed that $5 per bottle in general was avg tip for avg service for avg SB member.

Was that thread from the 1940's?? :p

There was a thread a while back that seemed that $5 per bottle in general was avg tip for avg service for avg SB member.​
Imagine tipping a dive guide 150.000IDR per dive day in Tulamben!!! hahaha you gotta be kidding...

Anyway I suggest you go to wetpixel.com there is a 1.000 post long sticky thread on tipping in the dive destinations forum... you'll get some reading and probably realize that there are other habits that the ones applying in the US.

Tipping is tricky since it's so deeply culturally rooted and part of that country's welfare and tax system. In Sweden, where tipping isn't expected (but not culturally offending), salaries doesn't differ as much as in countries where tipping can be seen as more or less mandatory. In Sweden, a job with a university degree qualification would give you slightly less than twice the salary as someone flipping burgers at McD. On the other hand education doesn't cost us anything, we have good health care for everyone etc. so you don't "need" much money in you pocket after tax - be it for unseen or predicted circumstances.

To me I still don't see how a 600m cab ride should warrent a tip (I got told off upon not leaving a tip some 20 years ago when abroad), whereas the personnel of a dive shop do warrent a tip since their expertise provide me with experiences I couldn't provide myself. The amount varies depending on the experience, but apart from that most likely a Swede would call me squanderish and an American would call me stingy.

I do however think it's better with pooled tip since that way everyone in the dive shop will try to give every customer a great experience. We had it when I was working as a DM and it worked great with no one muttering about X getting lucky with the heavy tippers. Rather, when we got a tip it was due to a team effort. If someone is exceptionally good with customers I would rather increase their salary since where I live that is the best way an employer can show appreciation and the extra income doesn't rely on luck who comes to your shop. Having said that, it might be the other way around in a country where tipping is the norm. An increase on a minimum wage in such a country might be jack all and thus it might be preferable with individual tip.

In Luko's suggested thread (it's a fun and enlighting read and might hold the seed of a thesis in anthropology) someone called this link The repository of all human knowledge :wink:

Best Regards,
Vigfus

It's personal preference - not a recommendation or guideline
Myself regularly give tip for 2 reasons - I'm satisfied with service + I know dive guide is not a well paid profession in Indonesia (as well as in the region).
There's no exact figure or percentages. In fact, no tip at all if the service is poor.
I always give tip at the end of trip - depend on the DC policy - some DC does not allow tipping directly to the dive guide.
If the service is just okay - nothing special - I normally tip Rp. 200-500,000 for a week trip (we are 4)
If the service is excelent, I will allocate total $ 100 -200 for the tip box and dive guide.
There's several trip where the DC does not recommend tipping directly to the Dive guide, and when the dive guide did outtanding job for us - I gave my 3 years old Zeagle BCD, or my Olympus C5000 camera + housing, or wetsuit or any gear that I planned to have the new one for next trip.

I also usualy bring used cloth, books, magazine, education CD/DVD, toys, and other small stuf for kids that we do not use anymore to be given for the village people near the resort or other staff resorts.

Back
Top Bottom