Suunto Cobra Battery Problems?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

taucherguy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I took my Cobra to have the battery replaced since it was dead after 2 years without any diving. After it was replaced I left it in the car while at work. It must have been over 100 degrees in there. The next day my computer wouldn't turn on. It turned back on a couple of days later. So took it to a dive that weekend yet it wouldn't turn back on again. Had to dive with rented gear since I didn't have a spare SPG.

Took it to the shop and they opened her up again took the battery out and put it back in. Computer started to work again. Controlled the computer several time during that week since I was going on a week long trip with some diving.

My computers battery was nearly dead when I was checking it on the morning of my dive before getting on the boat.

Took it back to the store and asked the guy if the battery could be faulty. He replied that he never came across a faulty battery and this one was just delivered with an exp. date 2 years out and that my computer (2010) must be bad due to age. But he would replace it for me and make me a great deal. So I didn't buy his theory that batteries could never be bad and his refusal to try a new batter.

So I went out to buy a new battery myself (bought 4 just in case) and found a place to get the O-rings (bought 20 @ $0.1/piece).

Went home and put up my phone and started video mode and recorded my first ever battery replacement. Battery has been in for over 3 days without and glitch. I hope it stays that way.

Anybody had a similar issue with bad batteries?

The heat killed your battery, It may have been 100 degrees but the computer and battery were far hotter.

Never had a problem with my Cobra 2 before or after battery replacement, of course I keep my computer in a camera bag, which is either in my wetsuit closet at home, or in transit to the next dive site. I figure if you put something like your cellphone or another electronic device under the same stress, your outcome would be similar. I wouldn't blame it on the computer.

The heat killed your battery, It may have been 100 degrees but the computer and battery were far hotter.

I did the same test. Put it in the car with the new battery that I installed. No problems. Took it to a dive and turned it on without any problems. It reads everything right compared to a Suunto D6 computer but is 2 degrees of in temperature.

So my conclusion is that the battery installed may have been faulty and the heat may have just expedited its demise. Whereas a non faulty battery would just have lived short of the 2 years. This one didn't live past a few days.

Now, how do I get my money back?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom