Buying a Computer, To save or not to save?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DennisC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello, I am thinking about buying a dive computer. Currently I only have an open water certification but I will be taking advance in May and I would really like to get into Tec diving. So my question is should I buy a fairly inexpensive dive computer (I'm thinking about the Sherwood Insight) or should I just wait and buy a nicer/ more expensive one later?

Also the computer will be the first part of the dive kit that I will be buying, other than the small things, is that a good idea or should I buy something else first?

Thank you,
Dennis

Get a computer first. I would recommend a suunto. Great for if you plan on getting into tech.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you buy a (cheap) computer that can be set to gauge mode (practically all divecomputers I know have this feature) you can use it (possibly as a backup) throughout your whole diving career. Readability and the algorithm used are important.
I too bought a computer before purchasing my regs.

If you are heading into Tech then why not get a bottom timer like the XEN.

I'd go with a cheap Nitrox computer for now, and worry about tech a couple of years down the road when you're ready. If you do want to buy a computer which you might want to use later on for tech, I'd stay away from Suunto or anything else running a proprietary algorithm, and choose something running either Buhlmann GF or VPM. It will make matching plans with other tech divers and desktop software much easier.

For rec diving a Suunto Zoop is fine, very simple, relatively cheap reliable and easy to use.

Inexpensive + diving = oxymoron.

If you are heading into Tech then why not get a bottom timer like the XEN.

So I looked this bottom timer up. It looks very interesting and could possibly be a great thing to buy. its basically just a computer without the air read out right? Also what are the advantages/disadvantages of having just a bottom timer vs a computer?

Last edited:
A bottom timer will display dive time and depth, but will not track your inert gas loading and NDL times. You will have to keep track of them on your own, using either tables or Ratio Deco.

Last edited:
Checkout the XP-10 by Scubapro/SubGear www.subgear.com

Ditto on the Suunto Zoop.

You can find new ones on eBay for <$250 (shipped). If you're just starting diving, no way you're going to get close to your NDL, so it really doesn't make any real difference which algorithm it uses (FWIW, Suuntos carry the rap of being very conservative--like that is a bad thing). Use it until it becomes limiting and then sell it for 60% of what you paid for it.

$ubaPro makes nice equipment, they are just too proud of it for my taste

Back
Top Bottom