Becoming a TDI instructor.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

craig chamberlain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi

my plan for the future is to become a TDI instructor. i was wondering the prerequisits. Is it a requirement to be an SDI instructor or will they accept the equivalent like for most other courses. So meaning will they accept it if you ARE a PADI instructor and NOT an SDI instructor?

also for the TDI tech divemaster course wll they acept a PADI divemaster or MUST you be an SDI instructor?

and if they will not accept padi, do you have to retake the dm or idc course but with SDI or can you simply just get the card easily with not to much tuition as you already know how to teach?

cheers
Craig Thomas Chamberlain

TDI will accept PADI, but you will also have had to have completed a requisite number of certifications. For example, if you are a PADI instructor who has not taught any nitrox courses, you will need to do a certain number of certifications before being able to teach Advanced Nitrox.

Here is a post from a few months ago.....(if your thinking of crossing over)

I did a a crossover to SDI and TDI from PADI, an online exam for $500. To be honest, I think going through an entire IDC would have been a better option to get me up to speed for a different agency. Sure the actual skills are similar but learning new formats and logistics for about 12 crossover instructor courses (OW, Adv, Res, DM, specialties etc) was challenging. After several hundred certs for PADI you get pretty comfortable. So, try to overcome any "but I'm already an instructor" feelings and look at it as an opportunity to learn and possibly pass on some of what you know.......and try to forget about all the cool gear you could have bought for the cost of an IDC.

Wait. I thought TDI was for technical diving. Am I to assume that one can go from pure recreational diving PADI instructor to a TDI technical instructor with nothing more then $500 and an online course?

---------- Post Merged at 04:55 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:18 PM ----------

So is it a case of no one knows or no one wants to answer :)

Wait. I thought TDI was for technical diving. Am I to assume that one can go from pure recreational diving PADI instructor to a TDI technical instructor with nothing more then $500 and an online course?

No. That will only get you to SDI.

I went from PADI instructor to TDI instructor, but it took a lot more than that. I had TDI Advanced Trimix certification. I had to have a certain number of PADI certifications in certain subjects, including nitrox. I had to go through an IDC with a TDI Instructor Trainer (actually 2 in my case) In that IDC I had to pass exams, perform presentations, and demonstrate skills in the open water.

As John said, I had similar qualifications from both PADI and ANDI (tech/rebreather instructor) that crossed me over to TDI instructor. Simple recreational specialties can only crossover to SDI.

The thing to do is to ask TDI. That's what I did.

So where are they now with becoming only a TDI instructor, though? I crossed over to both just because, but can someone crossover to just TDI now without becoming an SDI instructor?

No, you will become an SDI instructor automatically but will not be able to teach SDI courses unless affiliated with a dive shop. TDI instructors can teach TDI courses as independent instructors.

Dale

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom