Comments on two bp/w packages?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can comment on the first to the limited extent that I walked into the Scubatoys retail shop intending to buy it, and wound up working with them to assemble a "custom" rig instead. Same plate, wing, and crotch strap, different tank straps and harness. I'm happy, but it's also the only experience I have so a grain of salt ain't cutting it....

Mainly my message is, "you don't have to get exactly what's on the web page, and you may be happier with something they assemble for you," and that goes for anybody.

If you have specific questions about the DR/ST side of things, ask away. I've never seen/know nothing about the Golem.

At your level of experience, I'd suspect that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the two in the water. Bonus is that because of the modular nature of the BP/W, if you find there are adjustments you'd like to make over time you can do so easily.

Both are very solid packages, if I could make this more difficult, checkout Tobin's DeepSeaSupply as well as Diverightin......some good prices on great gear. Depending on if you are thinking of changing your diving later on (doubles, sidemount, tri mix etc) the backplate and harness is simple and similar for most brands. Slight differences on the wings but you can research that. Luckily you won't be disappointed with any of these options.

Both Look great,but from a customer service standpoint, I'd much rather order from/deal with scuba toys than golem.the folks at scubatoys are always very helpful and responsive in a timely manner. Golem gear can sometimes take their time responding to issues.i have ordered from both and been generally satisfied though. YMMV

Good luck with your decision, and happy diving.

I had heard good things about the Golem when I was 1st looking for a setup, so I bought the same BP/w package you are looking at. The problem was that Golem sent out a wing that was marked 44lbs. When I asked why they did not send a 35lb wing they said it was a 35lb wing, it was just marked wrong. I did a test or two and it was infact a 44lb wing. The reply from Golem was that if I did not like it send it back. I also ended up having to pay return shipping even though they sent the wrong wing.

The wing did look nice, but I did not want the 44.

So I bought a package from DSS and have not looked back. I actually just ordered my doubles wing from DSS also.

Tobin has been very helpful, just doing some additional due diligence for my own piece of mind. At this point, DSS and Dive Rite are the leading contenders.

Can anyone comment, either pro or con, on these two packages.
You've already seen comments on Golem and Scubatoys. Both packages are appealing, and very reasonably priced. Presuming you are diving colder water with thicker exposure protection, you might prefer the steel backplate in the Golem package to the AL BP in the ST package. But, for single tank diving you might also prefer the 30 lb Oxycheq wing in the ST package to the 35 lb wing in the Golem package. I have dealth with ST and been pleased. I have not dealt with Golem, although the experience cited above about the 44 lb Golem wing would worry me ('it is a 35 lb wing, it is just marked wrong'????)

I started with some thing very similar to the DR package. It is a good combo and a very good starter package, and it may well be all you ever need. By "starter package", I don't mean anything negative. It is just after a while, you will start to notice the small differences in BP and wing, such as, for plate: size of the plate, center channel depth, bolt hole locations ... For wing: width, profile, material, dump valve... . Again, this DR package may be all you need and want, or may not have a different preference.

Yeah, check out DSS too. Not much more expansive, but offer some interesting options.

Well, the big thing for me would be where you intend to dive. The DR setup is fine for warmer water and light exposure protection, with 30 lb of lift and an aluminum plate. If you dive cold water, you're going to be carrying all kinds of ballast, including five pounds or more to make up for the aluminum plate. It's not inconceivable to need to compensate for more than 30 lbs of total rig weight or exposure protection compression in very cold water.

On the other hand, the SS setup can be dived virtually anywhere, because the SS plate just about neutralizes the positive swing of an Al80 tank. 35 pounds of lift is more than you need for warm water diving, but it's still manageable.

So, if you're planning warm water, the DR is a good buy. If you're planning cold, or cold AND warm, get the DSS setup -- you'll be very happy with the quality, and if you ever need customer service, DSS is up there with Light Monkey at the top of the CS ladder.

Back
Top Bottom