Looking for advise on gear choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeW0311

Reaction score
I am looking for advise on purchasing gear. I will be taking a cavern and intro. to cave course in the near future. I am interesed in purchasing a new set up- gear, back plate, wings etc. I have asked the Local Dive shop, who can get me Dive Rite gear, and my instructor, as well as looking on the web.

Can you tell me what works for you? Where you purcased the items, and what I should budget for the gear?

Would you opt for a double set up right off, or a single?

Why?

Like everyone else, I am hoping to make the best choices I can in my purchases so I will not need to go back and buy better gear at a later time.

Thanks,
Mike

I use pretty much all Dive Rite (plate, wings, light, reels) and couldn't be happier with it.

Fo regs, the cave standard is either ScubaPro Mark 20/25 or Apeks DS4, I personally use Mark 25s because I prefer the hose routing on those.

If you haven't been diving doubles, I would not plan on using them for your class (they dive significantly different than singles) but IMO H- and Y- values are wasted money (typically you'll move to doubles quickly and be stuck with extra valves). Rent tanks for the class and buy doubles when you're ready.

Ben

I trained in doubles for awhile before taking my first cave class and even before taking Fundamentals. My thinking was that if I'm going to go the cave/tech route, I might as well familiarize myself with the gear I'd be using at that level. Class is not where you want to be introduced to unfamiliar gear. There's more than enough going on there already.

Keep in mind though that my certifying agency, GUE, uses only doubles in Cave 1, their equivalent to Cavern & Intro. I don't keep up with the other agencies very much, but I think I read somewhere that singles usage in Intro may be phased out by one agency. That could be entirely wrong, so research this with your agency of choice or instructor, if you have one picked out already.

Are you looking at any brands besides Dive Rite?

Thanks for your replies, I am open to any gear suggestions. Dive Rite is the gear of choice by the people I have talked to in this area, NE. Could be because that is available and it is the primary gear of the instructor I will be working with.

Mike

I dive DIR configuration. I know this probably isn't what you have in mind, but the reasoning behind gear choices makes for an interesting read nevertheless.

Most of my gear's Halcyon, but other manufacturers make DIR-accepted gear too. That probably includes Dive-Rite, though I'm not current with anyone's product lines at the moment.

Have you checked out the Deco Stop yet? It can be a very valuable resource for divers transitioning to technical diving.

Good luck.

Another good idea would be to call your instructor. I'm taking Cavern and Intro soon and have spent a bit of time on the phone with my instructor asking him what type of reels, lights, etc I'll need to bring along. He's been helpful!

As I am sure you are aware. Dive gear is very expensive. It would be a bad idea to buy stuff to only find out that it is not correct for the type of diving you are doing or may do in the future. Spend time with your instructor, dive buddies and the more experienced divers around you.

The biggest advice I could give you is to dive with the best gear that you can afford and that you are comfortable with. Don't be another sheep following the crowds.

Good Luck and Safe diving

Good advise, that is why I posted the question, having done some wreck diving with my current set up, I am looking for advise from those who have used the gear (wings/back plate/doubles, etc.

My instructor has given his tips, and I have been diving with him several times over the last two years. I know his set up and preferences.

Thanks for the help.

Talk to your instructor, as has been mentioned. It would suck to buy something only to have it vetoed.

IMHO, you want to do these course in doubles. This is a MAJOR problem with most agencies and instructors, particularly for cavern and also for some with Intro.

I personally think this is a STUPID thing, because the redundancy is good irrespective of anything else. I understand the thought process behind the gas limit (harder to get too far back and thus in trouble) but if you violate thirds then you're in deep kimchee regardless.

A backplate is a backplate. Who you buy it from doesn't matter. However, do get it rigged with a single-piece of continuous webbing. No quick releases. As for the wing, that too is to a large degree personal preference, but I would stay away from double bladder or bungied wings. I personally like my Oxycheq wing, but the DiveRites and Halcyons are ok too, as are most others.

You're going to need a can light. Those things are EXPENSIVE. I strongly recommend a focusable light; the difference is important. I got lucky and found the older Halcyon 10w HID design at a good price, and got one of the "good ones" that strikes reliably. The cannister is a bit heavier than the new models, but so what - its not a big deal, and if I decide to in the future I can go to the little NiMH cannister.

My recommendation is to dive doubles for a while in open water (at least 10-20 dives) before the course. They trim COMPLETELY differently, and if you're not squared away on trim and buoyancy control in them you are running the risk of either failing the class or spending most of your time on the open water parts.

I have used the following gear. I started off with Dive Rite backplate and wings (Rec wing) and it was fine for doubles. Currently have an aluminum Dive Rite plate because my PST doubles are too heavy for steel backplate (104's). With aluminum doubles, use a sst backplate. I also have a Halcyon Explorer wing, I think it's a 55# model, and it seems fine. So was the rec wing, though.

I've always used Scubapro regs. Started out with Mk 20's and 25's and they were fine. Now use Mk 16's cause I like them better (sealed and no swivel). Any of these is fine. I have used almost all the scubapro second stages because I get them at cost and like to try them, but the G 250's are my favorites. I prefer the old style with the metal innards to the new "GT" or whatever it is with the plastic innards.

I like my "stealth" light because it's compact and so far has been 100% reliable. Also my dive rite Wreck light (HID). Light choices seem to get more important than some of the others as I accumulate more cave dives, and have seen other divers have more trouble with lights than anything else.

I like my Halcyon Explorer Reel. I've had some problems with Dive Rites breaking the spool, which sucks big time. I like spools for safety and jump.

I like my Dive Rite 905 drysuit a lot. In mexico where the temp is 77 or so (in caves) I use a 5 mm wetsuit since it's simpler.

I'm not saying these are the only choices, because they're not. I agree with anyone who says get the best you can afford from the start. Generally, you get what you pay for, except for lights. If you need help finding a stealth light, let me know.

Dave

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom