Researching Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrpai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I have a 12 y/o Suunto Mosquito that's nearing the end of it's life so you can probably guess I haven't researched computers in awhile.

I've liked my mosquito but I don't feel it's working really well for me. I do a lot of low vis / night diving and the lack of a constant backlight makes it difficult to read. ( My DRIS 1000 shining off it is tough to read. )

I like replacing the batteries myself. PC downloadable is nice but not a must have. I'm guessing a guage mode might be good in the future. Nitrox of course. Wrist mount (I dive a Hog style rig.)

So does anyone have some sage suggestions?

Liquivison makes two computers that might fit your bill, the Kaon and soon to be released Lynx. Both have bungee mount capabilities, both are OLED so no need for a back light or dive light, both have user changeable batteries both disposable and rechargeable, both can be downloaded. They are also quite small. The Lynx has an option for AI, possibly some other differences but as yet Liquivision are being tight lipped about features. The Kaon starts from around $825 US and the Lynx will apparently be about the same or for an additional $430 (approx) you can get the transmitter. Lynx is supposed to be released lat fall, the Kaon is available as of now. Liquivision seem to have have a pretty good reputation for customer service. I haven't used either but am interested in one or the other. Good luck with your search.

I don't know if I can spend $800 but I'll check it out. Regarding the Cressi Leonardo, how is the backlight on that thing? Always on? On for 30 seconds and off? It looks like it's a one button design. Do you just tap it and it comes on? Is one button annoying?

Getting the backlight to come on for the mosquito is a bit of a pain..

---------- Post Merged at 07:51 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:49 AM ----------

I don't know if I can spend $800 but I'll check it out. Regarding the Cressi Leonardo, how is the backlight on that thing? Always on? On for 30 seconds and off? It looks like it's a one button design. Do you just tap it and it comes on? Is one button annoying?

The Leonardo has a push button on for lighting and to my knowledge cannot be set to always on, in fact Im not ever sure you can change how long it stays on, I'm pretty sure it just activates once button is pressed and then automatically turns off after a few seconds.

---------- Post Merged at 07:59 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:57 AM ----------

After doing a lot of night diving in Indo last year I found my Vyper to be a pain too to activate, my aging eyes have also been struggling of late reading my computer. Have since been saving and researching for an OLED computer.

I was just reading through the cressi manual and something (other then the chinglesh translation ) caught my attention. They had a 'warning' saying to avoid diving more then twice a day. Huh? There choice of words were horrible also and left a lot of room for debate.

I'll take a look at the OLED stuff and see if I can get excited enough to spend that kind of money.

I was just reading through the cressi manual and something (other then the chinglesh translation ) caught my attention. They had a 'warning' saying to avoid diving more then twice a day. Huh? There choice of words were horrible also and left a lot of room for debate.

I'll take a look at the OLED stuff and see if I can get excited enough to spend that kind of money.

I once owned, briefly, a Cressi Edy II and found the manual to be the worst I have ever come across, it was shocking like 28 different people wrote alternating sentences lol...I'm sure you can get excited about OLED, but I hear ya $800 is not small change.

I have a Uwatec Aladin Tec 2g and it is a wonderful computer. The newer version, Aladin 2g (just dropped the Tec in it) is pretty much the exact same only it has a couple other features that the Tec doesn't. It's very easy to use, has a 100 dive log book, adjustable back light I think between 2-12 seconds and easy to activate even when wearing 5mm gloves, guage mode, infrared for transferring dives to software, nitrox and DSS makes a bungee mount for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom