Cave diver picks up award after brave rescue bid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Cave diver picks up award after brave rescue bid

Read more: Cave diver picks up award after brave rescue bid | Coventry Observer

A CAVE diver who desperately tried to save the life of a lost colleague is set to pick up a coveted bravery award.
Richard Stanton, of Allesley Old Road, reached depths of more than 800 metres in a courageous effort to find a French diver back in 2010.
He was given special leave from his job as a city firefighter to join a team at the Ardeche Gorge, near Marseille, for the mission to rescue Eric Establie, who had been attempting to explore a deep and dangerous cave.
More than a week after he had gone missing - and after days of repeated and unsuccessful dives in horrendous conditions - Mr Stanton found the Frenchman's body. He had died after getting trapped following an underwater avalanche.
Now two years on, the 51-year-old will pick up a Bronze Medal from the Royal Humane Society for his efforts.
The prestigious award is given to a select group of people each year who put their own lives at risk in a bid to save others.
It will be presented by the society, which is spearheaded by Princess Alexandra, in October.
Mr Stanton, a world-class diver involved in numerous rescue attempts in the past, said he was honoured to receive the award after what had been a lengthy and disappointing rescue mission.
"We had expected to find him alive because it was believed there would be air pockets in the cave," he told the Observer.
"We had a lot of history doing it which helps but they were exceptional circumstances.
"I had known Eric personally as he was one of a small band of extremely experienced and capable cave divers, so our paths had crossed on a few occasions.
"You could say he was the French equivalent of myself so I’d like to think that he would have done the same for me in similar circumstances."
Mr Stanton has worked for West Midlands Fire Service for 23 years and is based at the city's main station on Radford Road.
He has already picked up numerous awards for both careers and said the two jobs had similarities.
"Both are in dark places under serious pressure but one is professional while the other is a past-time gone mad," he told us.

Read more: Cave diver picks up award after brave rescue bid | Coventry Observer

800 meters in depth. Is that correct? Heroic none the less. Thanks for the post.

Everyone has my official permission to not come look for me if you think I'm lost 800M down...

Send James Cameron and his "Titanic" crew down for me, lol.

On the serious side, congrats to Richard Stanton.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom