Best wrist mounted, air integrated, hoseless dive computer in the ~$600 price range?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brian42

Registered
Reaction score
Any help? I'm confused. The more I look the more options I find.

Must have features:
Compass
Data download
Nitrox support
Wireless air integration
Wrist mounted

I have read good things about the VT 4.0 (or is it 4.1 now?) and Uwatec products. I have also read good reviews of Aeris Epic. I don't much care if it's watch sized or larger. More important to me is cost and features. I could stretch the budget a little more if there is a good reason to. I would like it if this computer would support trimix as I'd like to try some tec diving courses at some point but i suppose I wouldn't find that support along with the other features I want in a <$1,000 computer but please do correct me if I'm wrong.

I did read an old thread here where someone opined that the "Oceanic software blows" and it was only rebutted by an employee of Oceanic. Does anyone else think the software is still bad or has this been improved and updated in the last 5 years to address whatever the complaints were about the software?

My dive center is recommending the Suunto D4i which also looks nice. I noticed that it only goes to 50% oxygen mix instead of 100% like many others. I'm not sure if that's an issue in practice or not (do people commonly use more than 50%?). Why would they limit it if it's obviously easy for other manuafcturers to go to 100%?

Last edited:
Are you referring to Oceanlog when you say the software blows? Don't confuse the reporting software with the software/code that runs on the PDC itself. Oceanlog is a very basic capturing, reporting software. If you want to slice and dice your data more or have more graphs to look at, try DivingLog 5.0. Oceanlog is free, DivingLog 5.0 will cost you about $47.00 US, but the support is incredible.

Good luck with finding a wireless AI computer (with transmitter) with your required features for $600.00

One of my regular Dive buddies has an Aeris Epic and for our "run of the mill "rec diving, he likes his computer.

Most complaints you will read about software is the deco software. Alot of these can be pretty conservative in some divers eyes.

Are you referring to Oceanlog when you say the software blows? Don't confuse the reporting software with the software/code that runs on the PDC itself. Oceanlog is a very basic capturing, reporting software. If you want to slice and dice your data more or have more graphs to look at, try DivingLog 5.0. Oceanlog is free, DivingLog 5.0 will cost you about $47.00 US, but the support is incredible.

Good luck with finding a wireless AI computer (with transmitter) with your required features for $600.00

I am not saying anything about the software - I read it here in an old thread. I'm not sure which software he was referring to but I think the download software.

Why do you say that? The VT3 and VT4 easily seem to do it. Atom also looks like it might fit the bill although I"m not sure if it has a compas.

The more I look the more options I find.

Because you find them, you need them?

Identifying the difference between what you 'want' and what you 'need' does help. What you 'need' is depth, bottom time, NDL, ascent rate, surface interval, no-fly and ability to use nitrox to 40%.

Do you need wireless AI?... nope, it's just a convenience. Judging from threads here on SB, most wireless AI users don't 100% trust the reliability of those functions anyway.

Do you need an integrated digital compass?... nope, it's just a convenience. Most divers I know find them awkward to use though... so not a convenience. They tend to use a magnetic compass as preference.

Do you need a dive download feature?... nope, again convenience. Nice to see the pretty graphs though... and it can have an educational value.

I noticed that it only goes to 50% oxygen mix instead of 100% like many others. I'm not sure if that's an issue in practice or not (do people commonly use more than 50%?). Why would they limit it if it's obviously easy for other manuafcturers to go to 100%?

Anything about 40% is pointless. That's technical diving. If/when you learn technical diving, you'll do your training with the computer in gauge mode (diving on laptop produced custom tables). If you subsequently want to tech dive using a computer, rather than tables, you'll be more concerned about algorithm than all the other features... and that'll mean a dedicated technical diving capable, multi-gas computer with a flexible, robust and respected algorithm.

I don't think you'll find a dedicated tech computer (someone correct me if I am wrong) that has all the other junk features on it - wireless AI, digital compass, Angry Birds etc...

IMHO, for the prospective tech diver, the best features to look for in an entry-level computer are:

1) Gauge mode
2) Easy to read display
3) User changeable batteries
4) Ability to bungee mount
5) Simple interface and menu

Because you find them, you need them?

I'm talking about there are a lot of dive computers between $400-700 that do offer some or all of those features so why not get it?

Identifying the difference between what you 'want' and what you 'need' does help. What you 'need' is depth, bottom time, NDL, ascent rate, surface interval, no-fly and ability to use nitrox to 40%.
Do you need wireless AI?... nope, it's just a convenience. Judging from threads here on SB, most wireless AI users don't 100% trust the reliability of those functions anyway.

Do you need an integrated digital compass?... nope, it's just a convenience. Most divers I know find them awkward to use though... so not a convenience. They tend to use a magnetic compass as preference.

Do you need a dive download feature?... nope, again convenience. Nice to see the pretty graphs though... and it can have an educational value.

Well I don't NEED a dive computer at all I want one and after reading about what they can, the options available, the prices, etc. I decided that's what I want. I identified at least one that meets my n[-]eeds [/-] wants but I was wondering if there are others that I haven't found yet or just if anybody has any general advice for or against a particular computer.

Anything about 40% is pointless. That's technical diving. If/when you learn technical diving, you'll do your training with the computer in gauge mode (diving on laptop produced custom tables). If you subsequently want to tech dive using a computer, rather than tables, you'll be more concerned about algorithm than all the other features... and that'll mean a dedicated technical diving capable, multi-gas computer with a flexible, robust and respected algorithm.

I don't think you'll find a dedicated tech computer (someone correct me if I am wrong) that has all the other junk features on it - wireless AI, digital compass, Angry Birds etc...

IMHO, for the prospective tech diver, the best features to look for in an entry-level computer are:

1) Gauge mode
2) Easy to read display
3) User changeable batteries
4) Ability to bungee mount
5) Simple interface and menu

That's good info and yea after continuing to read it's ridiculous to expect to find trimix on something at this price point is absurd. If/when I get to that point investing in a new computer is probably the thing to do. But I think all of the other things are reasonable and I'm inclined to just get a VT3 or VT4 unless somebody has a good recommendation for something else.

Thanks.

Go with the Vyper Air over the D4i and they both have better compasses the the oceanic computers. The aeris computer is a oceanic computer and that one is at the end of life.

Go with the Vyper Air over the D4i and they both have better compasses the the oceanic computers. The aeris computer is a oceanic computer and that one is at the end of life.

Vyper Air was not on my radar yet but is now. You feel this is better than the oceanic VT4 mainly because of the compass or for other reasons? Anybody vote for VT4? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom