Starting sidemount and tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mitchell Teeters

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I want to get into sidemount diving and I'm slowly accumulating gear for this venture. I want to dive the LP95s but I'm coming to the conclusion (even when I added a aluminum BP) that I am just too negative. I have a couple steel 72 that are matched (I hope) that I will try. I'm going to dive one of my 72cf tanks with the aluminum bp. I'm a little negative, but I suspect that I won't be with the aluminum plate. Now this is all with a 3/2 suit mind you. I will dive dry when it is cold enough, and I suspect the 95cf tanks will work with the drysuit. But we shall see.

What brand LP95s are you looking at? And what rig are you considering?

I currently have two Faber LP95's and a couple Dacore LP72's. As far as rigs, I'm looking at the OMS profile adapter. I'm not a big budget guy and my wife is giving grief on what I've spent already.

I just looked back at your OP and noticed the BP part. That will be an issue, especially with the 95s and a 3mm suit. What size wing do you have?

I'm diving a 32lb hog. I've been thinking about going with a 5mm so that might help.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

With a 3mm and steels, even with a 5mm, you will likely need more lift than 32lbs. A 7mm might work, but you might still have issues at depth when the suit compresses.

I'm tracking. I have a friend that has an OMS wing he will sell me. I'll have to check it. I think it is a 50lb lift.

32 pounds of lift is not a lot of lift for anything other than AL 80s.

Steel 72s vary a bit as everybody made them and not all are the same, but in general a pair of steel 72s with valves is about 14-15 pounds negative at the start of the dive. Add another couple pounds per reg, along with your 2 pound back plate and you're looking at 20+ pounds of negative buoyancy before you add in lights, reels, the rest of the harness, etc. Adding a stage and a deco bottle would not be an option.

I'm not sure a 5mm will help. I dive both a 5mm and a 3mm with an without a hooded vest and I just don't notice that much difference, although my 5mm has been on enough 180'-210' dives that it is probably closer to a 3mm now anyway.

As for 95s I dive a Nomad and it's nominally a 60 pound wing, although Lamar estimates it drops to closer to 50 pounds when fully inflated on the diver, given the constraints on the wing to keep it in position, and I think it closer to 45 pounds by the time you snug up the bungees to limit the gas in the front portion of the wing, plus I dive a dual bladder Nomad and that probably costs me another 5 pounds of lift due to the extra bulk in the same external shell. If I dive cave filled LP 95s and a stage with a 3mm or 5mm wet suit, I have to take care as it will be a couple pounds negative at the start of the dive with the wing trimmed the way I prefer - I end up having to loosen the bungees under the wing to let it inflate a bit more.

The point being that if you're trying to float a pair of cave filled 95s with a 32 pound wing and a dry suit, you're probably going to end up with more gas in the drysuit than you really want, as it's going to be a large bubble to manage.

Gotcha. I think I'll start on the 72's FWIW. They are both dacor tanks, and I'll check their buoyancy before I get all jiggy with them.

32 pounds of lift is not a lot of lift for anything other than AL 80s.

Not quite true. My Armadillo is rated with only 32 pounds lift and I dive it with Worthington 85s and Faber 95s with stage cylinders all the time. But I'm in a dry suit. If I dive wet I use smaller cylinders or my Nomad (original with 50 pounds rate lift, closer to 40 the way I have it rigged).

Back
Top Bottom