SPG swivel pin advice and second stage.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

craig chamberlain

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi

yesterday i ordered new teck gear and i am waiting for it to arrive. i seen something on the internet about a spg with a swivel pin. can someone tell me what this is for and if the spg will not turn without this? i am not sure if mine comes with one. here is the link so if you can see the pic and tell me that would be great. DirDirect :: Computers, Timers, Compasses & SPGs :: Agir-Brokk 300bar SPG

also i believe that my second stage comes seperate to the 1st stage and also the hose, to attch the 2nd stage to the hose is it the same as the hose to the 1st stage, tighten with fingers and then a small turn with a spanner?

Thanks
Craig Thomas Chamberlain

You might be thinking of the 'spool'. Its a little doodad with 2 small orings on it that fits in between the spg and the hose. I've never seen an SPG come without one, but all mine are Halcyon or Scubapro. Without it, the entire thing will leak. Luckily, dive shops around the world have them in case your spg doesnt come with it. Its also handy to have a few laying around in your save-a-dive kit, as they are frequent troublemakers.

On the hoses, finger tight and a little more with the wrench is perfect. No need to torque it down real hard, just snug.

A little more with the wrench, but again just use either finger pressure on the wrench or choke up on the wrench all the way and use really light pressure.

The o-ring does the sealing, not the rightness of the fitting. All you want it to be is tight enough so that it won't come undone by hand - so just a smidge past hand tight is perfect.

The same thing applies to the connection between the high pressure hose and the SPG. If it's a brass and glass SPG you can hold the SPG in your hand when tightening the fitting. However if the SPG body is plastic, you'll want to hold another wrench of the SPG side of the fitting, as holding the plastic case while tightening it can cause it to crack. Friends don't let friends buy plastic SPGs, but they will work for recreational diving as long as it's in a boot or console - but you did well getting what you got.

----

As for high pressure spools, they come in three styles, straight (short), straight (long) and flanged, so you'll want to know what one you have. All of them use a single 003 o-ring on each end so stocking just the o-rings works too, although some are difficult to change the o-rings without a suitable bullet. As AJ suggests, it's not a bad idea to have a spare in your save a dive kit along with a suitable dive tool or wrench to remove the SPG.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom