Weighting question or questions if you prefer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ajtoady

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Well it's coming down to the wire as far as my sidemount tryout goes. My ? being that I am currently wearing 6lbs in a backmount scenario with a 5mm wetsuit/ 117 cuft steel single tank. Could maybe shed 1-2lbs now that the 5mm is worn a little. I believe that when I side mount two steel 117 cuft tanks I will not need any weight at all. Seeing as how there will be nothing to ditch in an emergency shy of shedding a tank, is this considered normal procedure? I have the steel tanks and due to personal preferences will not buy aluminum tanks. I have looked into 100 cuft steels and they have the same buoyancy characteristics as my 117's. Advice........? Comments.......?

No need for weight to sink with those tanks, but harness weight to trim out is probaby gonna have to be figured in.

I haven't carried ditchable weights in several years. IMO ditching weights is just asking for trouble. I have yet to find myself in a situation in which I would want to ditch weights.

being that I am currently wearing 6lbs in a backmount scenario with a 5mm wetsuit/ 117 cuft steel single tank. Could maybe shed 1-2lbs now that the 5mm is worn a little. I believe that when I side mount two steel 117 cuft tanks I will not need any weight at all.

I'm not familiar with the buoyancy of those tanks but remember to weight yourself for empty tanks. My steels are just about neutral when empty so my weighting isn't that different using one tank or two.

You'll feel a bit heavy at the start of the dive just due to the weight of gas. You've got 8-9lbs in each tank 117 cu ft tank.

I haven't carried ditchable weights in several years. IMO ditching weights is just asking for trouble. I have yet to find myself in a situation in which I would want to ditch weights.

Do any of the agencies you teach for require ditchable weights for sidemount classes?

Do any of the agencies you teach for require ditchable weights for sidemount classes?

No.

For clarification, I'm still a PADI instructor but I don't teach the PADI sidemount class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom