GLWC goes to the Straits of Mackinaw

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barracuda2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Six GLWC members (called the Posse) headed to the Straits for some great wreck diving. We arrived about 5:00 fri., checked in and dove into a 20 oz. porterhouse. Sat. was a good and bad day. First the bad: Our first wreck was the Cederville; however, the wind was up, the waves were up, the viz was down, and the current was fast. Two members aborted the dive immediately for reasons that I won't tell (what happens at the Straits stays at the Straits) Two got to the Cederville, and after a short time says, "gee, this is no fun," as they watched exhaust bubbles fly off at a 45 degree angle. And two actually stayed on the wreck for 30 min. One of them, (me) basically stayed on the tag line, leaving go a few times to see if I could make any headway down the wreck to the wheelhouse. For reasons I won't tell, I struggled with my trim; every time I let go of the line, my body would want to roll to the right. In a way it wasn't my fault, but I will take responsibility. The other diver of this team of two actually got to the wheelhouse and did a little exploring. After 30 min. and a safety stop, we came to the surface and fought our way back to the stern platform on the tag line, all the time being sucked under the boat by the current. That was not fun either. Well, 3 members were struck by the sea-sick monster, so we decided to call the 2nd dive and head to shore. Lucky we did; the day got progressively worse with high winds.
After lunch, served by a real beauty from the Chezk Republic, we decided to spend the rest of the day on Mackinaw Island. Had a real relaxing time with the hundreds of other tourists. (There is NO economic problem in the US)

Sat. was much, much better: the winds were down, the waves were down, the current was really down, and the viz was slightly better. First dive was on the Stalker. (You can look it up) about a 75 ft. dive; under-deck swim thrus, great rails, and lot's of wood---fairly intact. The second dive was on the William H. Barnum, 75' to the sand; about 58 ft to the deck. Good looking winch on the bow; impressive boilers, and lots of heavy timbers. The stern was blown off in order to retrieve the rudder which now sits in the St. Ignace waterfront park. Good Dive! Packed up everything and headed back North. We'll do this one again.

I downloaded some picts, but I don't know what happened to them. :idk:

Last edited:
I love the Stalker. One of my favorite wrecks up there.

Jeff

I downloaded some picts, but I don't know what happened to them. :idk:

What happens at the straits stays at the straits.
just like your fin
opps...:wink:

What happens at the straits stays at the straits.
just like your fin
opps...:wink:

Not MY fin!!; I still have both of mine.

What were water temps like at depth?

I assume you guys were diving dry?

Any pics of the individual from the czech republic?

Does the czech republic even exist anymore?

The temps ranged from 65 to 45 . Yes we all doge dry.. well at least we had drysuits on..;-) the czech republic must exist, that is what she said she was from..She was Smokn' to hot for the camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom