HALCYON STA with OMS BP?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IDK the answer to your question, but I'd have another for you... do you have cambands already? You would need them if you don't and it appears they are listed separately.

I have the bands that I am attaching tank&wing to the BP. I thought of using these to attach tank to the STA and put the Oxycheq between the BP and the STA. And I just realized the the holes on the Mach V have to fit the holes of the STA as well then.

BP+wing worked just fine without the STA. I thought the STA might add to stability and/or in case I got another wing .
Should I better leave it?

I have a Halcyon eclipse with a SS backplate. I use an OMS Al backplate with the Halcyon wing and STA with no problems since the cam bands go on the STA and no longer through the wing and backplate. The Halcyon STA is a bit taller than the "generic" STA's so the tank will be offset a little more backwards.

Last edited:
I don't know about a "device". It says it has a "roll control", but I don't think I have any dedicated device. I guess the cambands keep the tank in place.
No Mach V does not require an STA. As I said:"I thought the STA might add to stability and/or in case I got another wing."
So, you think should I better not try to fix what's not broke?

It's actually those nylon covered tubular inserts integrated into the middle of the wing where the cam bands run and where the tank "snuggles up" against the wing. It should be OK with a rigid backplate but I have seen some shifting with soft (non-metal) travel harnesses.

I see... Didn't occur to be that hole could be referred to as a "roll-control device".
Must be "the fancier the name the more one can chrage for it Harvard Business School special marketing technique".
To be concise: My rig is fine as is. I thought it might benefit from an STA now or at some point in the future.
Mainly I saw this listing, remembered how much scubatoys were going to charge me for an STA when I was considering to get it for my rig when I was getting the Mach V, and thought why not get it now?

Ive used the Halcyon STA and others with my Oxy wings, without the STA, with the STA and cam bands through the STA and with the STA but having the cam bands threaded trough the plate and wing. The first and last configurations Ive found to be the most solid i.e no movement at all. I use the last option when travel diving on boats as it makes lining up the tank easier.

Thanks!

1)The two holes of the Halcyon STA must align with the 1st and either the 4th or the 5th hole on the Mach V (top to bottom). Do you remember which?

2) When I was diving the Mach V with the SS BP and 3mm Bare, I was attaching 2lbs to the tank for weight. So it occurred to me that, given the weight of the STA and the fact that I lost some fat (have higher body density now), I might not need any more weight, and thus will have no weight to ditch. Is it even a good idea?

Thanks!

1)The two holes of the Halcyon STA must align with the 1st and either the 4th or the 5th hole on the Mach V (top to bottom). Do you remember which?

2) When I was diving the Mach V with the SS BP and 3mm Bare, I was attaching 2lbs to the tank for weight. So it occurred to me that, given the weight of the STA and the fact that I lost some fat (have higher body density now), I might not need any more weight, and thus will have no weight to ditch. Is it even a good idea?

The holes on the wing allow you to move the wing up or down on the plate as your trim requirements dictate, it will only fit a finite number of ways so you'll figure it out pretty quickly once you start playing with it.

The weight of the STA will be around .5kgs.

The weight of the STA is not going to make that much difference, the idea is to be able to swim your rig up with no air in your wing. The use of an STA is not going to dangerously overweight you.

With the Halcyon STA being box shaped fold the roll control tabs on your wing under the slots so that they are against the plate and not the STA, this will allow the STA to sit flatter, closer.

(I'm assuming you're not using the weighted STA version?)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom