SCUBAPRO Galileo Luna or Sol: Buy or Wait?

Buy the Galileo or Wait?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have been diving the SCUBAPRO Aladin for about 2 years but am looking to upgrade and make my current computer my backup.

With that in mind, I dove a friends Galileo and LOVED it. I almost went out and bought one that day, but when I was researching the Galileo Luna and Sol, I noticed they are almost 4 years old. I would hate to buy one today and a month later have SCUBAPRO (or some other company) come out with a new and updated OLED version of the computer.

What do you think? Buy it or wait? Any of you heard of any new products coming out?

Here is a list of products I am aware of and have looked into:

Shearwater Predator
UEMIS Zurich SDA
Mares Icon HD
Atomic Cobalt
Suunto Vyper Air

I had a sol and loved it As we speak, Im waiting for me Mares HD I like the screen and technology better. You can wait forever. There ail always be cheaper, better stronger. Find a deal and buy it. Got mine from Italy

Buy used. If you wish to sell later, you will not lose much. In that hardly anyone uses the heart monitor, acquire the Luna instead...

I have a Luna, and there are some things I like about it:

1. The compass is great
2. I like the book mark function
3. The Sol or the Luna with the PMG and Trimix upgrade will hold 11 different gasses and let you activate what ever gasses you are using that dive.
4. I like that you can turn off all the alarms
5. I like the ability to load stick maps in it and view them as pictures during the dive

However there are things I don't like about it:

1. I've noted it is a little too conservative compared to other technical computers I have owned or dove with. Not egregiously so, but plan on another 5 minutes of deco on a 15 minute deco dive with nitrox.
2. I've also noted that the trimix algorithm appears to be extremely conservative - as it not compatible at all with other technical computers.
3. The log software is not Mac capable, and I've moved away from a PC based laptop entirely
4. The display is not bad by former standards, but it is not in the same league as an OLED display
5. The rubber strap is crap and will break with zero warning - it will go from healthy looking to broken clear through in a single dive. I recommend replacing it with bungee immediately.
6. Firmware upgrades do not go smoothly.

With that in mind, I bought a Predator and a Luna as the Luna does things the Predator does not. Then I had a Luna fail and while it was replaced promptly for free, the replacement lacked the PMG upgrade and it took ages to get that worked out for a variety of reasons. In the interim I bought another Predator, in part due to the delay in getting multi gas capability back in the Luna, and in part as the trimix upgrade was a couple years late(r) in coming.

However, now that the Trimix upgrade is out, I'll still probably dive my Predators on trimix dives due to the overly conservative nature of the Luna's trimix profiles.

And, if I could only have one computer, I'd pick the Predator hands down as it is a lot more computer for the money (even compared to the Luna), and has a much better display, a more capable and intuitive interface and Mac compatible software and dive log options. Plus Shearwater's firmware upgrades are a snap to install, where upgrading the Luna or Sol is a PITA.

I love my Predator and it's supported by Dive Nav's on line computer training program. They also just came out with an ap for android platforms for it to use with mixes. It's in beta testing now and I will be downloading the new stuff sometime very soon as one of the beta testers. Bluetooth hook up even to my droid!

Although I'm still on the honeymoon with my new Luna I will jump up & down on the coach & yell to all who can hear "I LOVE THIS COMPUTER"!Yes it's big,but even with the 5mm gloves on I have no trouble manipulating the buttons & my aging eyes can see those HUGE numbers & letters perfectly!And don't even get me started on the BADDEST digital compass to ever hit a computer!Buy it now & don't worry even if something new does come along.Enjoy it for a year or two & when the price of the latest & greatest comes down,pass the Luna on to someone who will put it too good use & move up!JM2C for what's it's worth...
You can wait forever. There will always be cheaper, better stronger
...promocop is correct here.

Jim & DA, apples and oranges. Two totally different computers. I have a Shearwater also. I simply cannot go back to a SK-7 compass after navigating with a Sol or Luna...

Both the Scubapro Galileo Sol & Luna are excellent computers.

I have not heard of a new version of either computers coming out.

Their firmware is upgradable.

The trimix upgrade is available at no extra cost.

I am always cautious when a new model comes out.

The Sol & Luna are proven!

MSG,

That's a "pro" I forgot - The Luna (or Sol) lets you pick between 3 different screen lay outs with increasing levels of detail and information. It let's you balance information with display size.

Scott,

Apples and oranges is the point - the Luna does things the Predator does not, which is the reason for having one of each along. It's just unfortunate that the trimix algorithm in the Luna is so conservative compared to the Predator (or anything else with trimix).

I have a Galileo for sale right now (see classified under gauges and computers). I've always been a HUGE Scubapro fan... I just don't need another computer. I have a Suunto Vytec for recreational air integration (small puck style) + a predator for primary.

When I started Tec and Trimix diving I bought an X1, but after a while I started using a friends Predator...now I'm a dealer I like them so much.

The Galileo is a great recreational computer with technical capabilities... If you want air integration (which can be convenient), it's great.

If you don't need/ want air integration the UI, features an the OLED rocks!

Happy to chat live too.

Cheers,
John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom