Maldives Trip - Sept 15-23, MV Aurora

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Djamba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All.

We are heading off to stay on the MV Aurora to go tour the Northern and Southern Male Atolls, Alif and Ari Atoll for a week. The main reason we are heading over is for Mantas, Whale Sharks and Tiger Sharks. I went and did a silly thing and looked at weather reports which basically imply that it's been nothing but thunderstorms and the same is forecast for the whole time we are due to be there. I know that this might simply mean that there have been some thundery showers somewhere in the Maldives so wanted to see if someone who is actually there can please give me an actual report of the weather in the area at the moment.

If you could also tell me what the Vis and Manta / Whale Shark conditions have been like that would be awesome.

Oh.. and if anyone has been on the boat and has some info that would be cool too.

Thanks in advance. ;-)

Hello.
Today in the Maldives:

satellite map.jpg

It has been a bit of rain this last week :) (I'm located on the southern Maldives).

You should find Mantas on the eastern side of the eatern atolls at this time of year.

large-map-6.jpg

Whale Sharks are usually seen in Ari South (Maamigili).

For Tiger Sharks, well, I've been two years in the Maldives now and never seen one, but who knows? they supposed to be there, so...

Depending when you're going to the Maldives, be aware that the weather can change really quickly... and any forecast for more than 3 days will be wrong :)

Hope you'll have a great diving trip
Safe diving and happy bubbles!

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

What about Hammerhead sharks? Many of those about?

Hammers may be encountered during a sunrise dive on the outer reef- the deeper the better. Unfortunately with the government rule of 30m max depths, hammerhead sightings are quite rare.

Rasdhoo Atoll (small atoll just north of Ari) is well-known for hammers- again it's a sunrise blue/black-water descent to.... somewhere around 30m.

Back
Top Bottom